The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Zenandra

Moved On
Reaction score
What are my bettas fins called?

fwbettakshm1257631446.jpg

What are Rays? and what significance do they have?

Different tail types have different amounts of rays. VT's, usually have two, as do CT's (though sometimes they can have more - up to 4 or even 8 sometimes). HM's have been know to have as many as 16 :blink:, but usually have 6 to 12. A HM with only 4 - 6 rays would most likely be classified as a delta or super delta. PK's generally have two (traditional PK's) and HMPK can again have 4-8. When you look for rays, they always start off at the base of the fin as one big ray, then branch off about 1/4 to halfway down the main ray. It's the branching you want to count. It can be tricky to see sometimes.

Here's a pictures taken off of aquabid to show you what I'm talking about, lol.

fwbettashmp1170281491x.jpg

I drew in the rays to make it clearer. In example #1 you can see the clearly defined 4 rays. But in example #2 you can see where the rays spliting off and there's actually a 5th ray, bettas rays comes in two's so when this fish is finished maturing there's a good chance that he'll have 6 rays. You measure your bettas fins by the highest ray-count. So it could have a few rays with 4, and a few with two, but would still be classified as a 4-ray.

Top / middle / bottom fin :)

i cant realy read the names of the fins??
Could you change the couler of it? :good: to red?

Hmm.... Still somewhat confused 'bout the rays. Can you show rays for some different tail types, so I can get my head around it? ;D Thanks.
happy.gif

clearrays.jpg

some 4 some 6 some 7 and 1 8, halfmoon, i posted this not long ago for someone who asked about rays and tail rays are actually called and should be called Cadual ray fins
for the simple reason dorsal fins have rays as well! Although they don't refer to these as much yet, females of 8 give off the most halfmoons, and less as you go down the chain the higher you go up from 8 the more defective you end up getting! I have learned that first hand.

sorry my female dragon doesn't show the rays that well or i would take a pic of them to show what a true lady of 4 is, a true kind has the same amount all the way through the cadual fin, so meaning lady of 8 would have lots that are no more and no less than 8 and these go for really big money depending on how greedy the breeder is. They usually don't sell them, and males play no part in breeding for the cadual fin although I have found the more over 8 they tend to have the more defective fry you get or chances of having OHM, this is only specifit to Imbellas and splendins and not the entire family as of yet scientists havn't proved if it applies to others in those families, and for those who really want a shocker your splendens are part of the gourmis family, atleast to scientists

i have a female with 4 rays, but it is spiked, is she a CT? (i have another thread up with pics) and a female with 4 again, but her brother is a PK, would she be classed as a HMPK?

So... to find the number of rays you're counting how many vein-line things there are at the end of the tail that branch back into one vein-line thingy?

Kk, thanks. My HM has 8 rays, but actually he is not a HM he is ALMOST an hm, so he's a super delta. Can super deltas have 8 rays? Actually I'm not sure it's 8. It might be 6. Let me go check again.

So... to find the number of rays you're counting how many vein-line things there are at the end of the tail that branch back into one vein-line thingy?

Haych to your reply could be a CT but with 4 I doubt it, probably from the family line of feathertail

OneOnion ya just count the rays follow one of the branches this is actually part of there spine and see how many times it branches off and count them
4 = Common cheap to buy, 6= Kinda uncommon still cheap to buy 8= uncommon and kinda rare gets more expensive to buy and 8+= more rare and more expensive to buy and usually your OHM have these, also lady of 8 can go for as much as 1k USD easy females of 8 are hard to come buy and 4 is common

Most reactions

Back