Types Of Sand, Cleaning Sand, And Filters

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

sharkydog

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
Okay so I just set up my ten gallon tank, which came with an internal power filter (the tank I bought was the petco 'grreat choice'). I read that it may be bad to use an internal filter if I have sand?

Also, sand is incredibly expensive at pet stores, and was hoping that I could just buy play sand like the sand found here: http://www.menards.com/main/landscapeestimator/startscreen/groundcover/play-sand/p-1934741.htm

If there is a better type of sand that is cheap, please let me know! I will most likely have pygmy corys in my tank, which is why I have decided on sand.

Also, if the good bacteria forms in the substrate, how often does it need to be cleaned? I don't mind using a gravel vacuum, but I don't want to over clean it. I also read that it might get rock solid and/or make the tank appear 'cloudy'? Is that just from people not cleaning the sand enough?

Any additional information on the maintance of sand or anything on the topic is very, very welcome! Thanks!

You can buy any general sand at a home improvement store. I personally prefer general all-purpose sand which is a non-seived sand so has everything from fine sand to small pea rocks which gives it a natural look that I love. You can use play sand or pool filter sand as well, both are very fine sands. Regardless of what sand you pick all need to washed, usually best done outside in a bucket half full of sand and just use a hose to run water through it until the water runs mostly clear. Then repeat until you have enough sand washed. It will still cloud your tank for a day or two depending on the grade of sand and how well you washed it.

I don't clean my sand and thats that. It should not harm an internal filter long as you clean the filter regularly and check the impeller. Sand is usually most damaging to HOB filters and some canister depending on their design. Good bacteria grows on just about everything, but MOST of it is in your filter unless you are using an undergravel filter.

GRD1985 said:
You can buy any general sand at a home improvement store. I personally prefer general all-purpose sand which is a non-seived sand so has everything from fine sand to small pea rocks which gives it a natural look that I love. You can use play sand or pool filter sand as well, both are very fine sands. Regardless of what sand you pick all need to washed, usually best done outside in a bucket half full of sand and just use a hose to run water through it until the water runs mostly clear. Then repeat until you have enough sand washed. It will still cloud your tank for a day or two depending on the grade of sand and how well you washed it. I don't clean my sand and thats that. It should not harm an internal filter long as you clean the filter regularly and check the impeller. Sand is usually most damaging to HOB filters and some canister depending on their design. Good bacteria grows on just about everything, but MOST of it is in your filter unless you are using an undergravel filter.
I don't really know much about filters... This is the type that I have: http://www.amazon.com/Grreat-Choice-Internal-Power-Filter/dp/B00AX82IPY

Will that be okay with 'all purpose' sand? It does hang on the side of the tank, so I'm assuming that it qualifies as the type that can be damaged by sand... :s But I have no idea.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
that one should be okayish, but its a poor filter to start with IMO. Never had that exact brand so hard to say. I know the whisper intank HOB like that there is no way to clean the impeller which is the main issue with sand. You would have to check it to know for sure tho.

GRD1985 said:
that one should be okayish, but its a poor filter to start with IMO. Never had that exact brand so hard to say. I know the whisper intank HOB like that there is no way to clean the impeller which is the main issue with sand. You would have to check it to know for sure tho.
I looked at the instructions to the filter and took it apart and fortunately I am able to get to the impeller and clean it! Yay!!! :D Thank you so much for helping me!

Thats awesome. Main issue with sand is when the impeller orientation. The orientation changes depending on the filter. If the impeller is sitting with the blades on top it leaves the motor socket that the magnetic part fits in as a hole. This is where sand poses a problem. If it gets to the impeller it can get stuck in this hole/socket that the impeller fits into. The impeller spins and the trapped sand will slowly eat away at the impeller and the filter housing. Most HOBs and some canisters have the motor setup like this. Others have the impeller located at the top and sand usually doesn't get trapped in it since sand doesn't fall up. Best recommendation is to clean the impeller and socket it goes into regularly encase any sand gets trapped in there.

GRD1985 said:
Thats awesome. Main issue with sand is when the impeller orientation. The orientation changes depending on the filter. If the impeller is sitting with the blades on top it leaves the motor socket that the magnetic part fits in as a hole. This is where sand poses a problem. If it gets to the impeller it can get stuck in this hole/socket that the impeller fits into. The impeller spins and the trapped sand will slowly eat away at the impeller and the filter housing. Most HOBs and some canisters have the motor setup like this. Others have the impeller located at the top and sand usually doesn't get trapped in it since sand doesn't fall up. Best recommendation is to clean the impeller and socket it goes into regularly encase any sand gets trapped in there.
Okay!! Well, since I am a dunder muffin I may not be understanding you correctly, but it is placed inside of a plastic encasing that is the 'mold' of the filter, and it's at the bottom of it, laying horizontal. The opening of the impeller is also 'around the corner' of where water comes in, so I don't know if that would make a difference or not but I will definitely be sure to clean it regularly regardless. If somethings get's messed up, oh well! I guess I'll just have to be a better filter! I went cheap and got a filter/tank/hood combo from petsmart. It actually seems to be like a pretty decent tank though, but then again I am a totally newbie and don't really have much to base my idea of a 'good tank' off of. No leaks, quiet filter that's working, and a functional hood.... Seems like that's good enough for me right now!
biggrin.png

I'm using quikrete pool filter sand. It didn't take much to clean it and I have a power hanging filters on both of my tanks (I'm sure it would be fine with an internal filter). When you get the sand in the tank I would wait a bit for everything to settle before turning the filter on. I'm sure you could right away but that is what I did just in case. 

rpgmomma8404 said:
I'm using quikrete pool filter sand. It didn't take much to clean it and I have a power hanging filters on both of my tanks (I'm sure it would be fine with an internal filter). When you get the sand in the tank I would wait a bit for everything to settle before turning the filter on. I'm sure you could right away but that is what I did just in case. 
That's a great suggestion! Thank you! :) Even if it will be okay I will probably just keep the filter off until it settles completely.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back