Two rusties in an all male tank?

GuppyNamedOscar

Reaction score
Stocking my first cichlid tank. I feel like I've done a ton of research, but there's so much conflicting (or just plain bad) info. Hoping someone can answer from personal experience! I mail ordered my fish from a reputable breeder, and either as a gift or an error, they sent me two rusties instead of one. They look pretty different-- not sure if it's age, sex, or just individual difference. Assuming they're both male, can they coexist in an all male tank (with peacocks and labidochromis?)
20221006_130639~2.jpg

The only mbuna combination I would keep would be what you have - rustys and yellow labs, the 2 least aggressive mbuna I have kept. You have a pair there, I believe. It's been 30 years since I kept them, so a more recent keeper might disagree, but no anal fin egg spots and the right colour...

Last edited:
Thanks for your response, Gary. I'm definitely aiming for "least aggressive." I didn't notice the lack of egg spots-- good catch.
Do you have any experience with white labs? Mine is white, not yellow, and I read recently they are more aggressive than the yellows. Mine is certainly not timid but doesn't bother anyone yet.

I only know the yellow and blue morphs of caeruleus. I haven't kept the white one, but blue and yellow had no behaviour differences I could ever see. My mbuna days are done forever, but I'll keep watching here in the hopes someone has direct experience. I'm curious about that.

Most reactions

Back