Tt's Axolotl Adventure

Great vids altho I think the first and second one are the same.
They are beautiful! Love their little legs!

how big is your tank for them?  at what temperature do you keep the tank at

It's 3 feet by 1 foot by 1.5 foot. This is really the bare minimum size IMO, axolotls are much more active than I anticipated. They seem content for now though.
The tank is whatever temperature it wants to be, it is almost always about 18-20 degrees, ideal for axolotls.

any other tank inhabitants?  are these fish aggressive to other fish

I have feeder fish in there. With fish it is generally not reccomended for two reasons, the axolotls will probably eat the fish or the fish will eat the axolotls feathery gills. I've been keeping a close eye on my feeder rosy barbs and they don't cause trouble with the axolotls, they just swim and be eaten.
Axolotls are not agressive, but they are predatory, and they will eat what they can catch. Generally they're best in a tank entirely dedicated to them and maybe a few feeder fish presuming they are parasite free and don't nip the lotls.

Hey guys, been a while since action on this thread. I had kind of focussed all my Axolotl energy on curing their floatiness but it seems I'm all out of ideas. I'm ready to take another step in the way of the tank itself.
So this weekend or next week I want to trim the plants from my 90 liter and plant the cutting in the axolotl tank so that all the plastic plants in there are gone. The tank at the moment looks gross and I'm losing interest in it so I want to make it more natural for the axolotls.
Also, I hope that by putting real plants in there the algae may die off because the plants will use the nutrients not the algae.
The plants I will be trimming will be hygrophila and Amazon swords and maybe some anubias or cryptocernes.
Disgusting Picture of axolotl tank:

TallTree01
I see you are resting your light directly on the glass,  Those legs on the ends of the light, You can pull out and then you turn them over and reinsert them.

Like this.
zvbdbb.jpg

Memo to self: The light needs a clean

Thanks Nick! I could never figure out what those things were for.

I bought some plants and a ornament yesterday and I have drawn a diagram that is to be my inspiration.

Hopefully that will be closer to reality atthe end of today. :)
And yes, I even drew the Axolotls in there. :lol:

It's all planted up now, the black cotton thread is difficult for tying Java fern so I used a very indiscreet blue and white cord to attach it instead. Looks pretty good I think, the axies have a bit more room now.
All the plants are real and were trimmings from my other tank apart from the ferns.
I won't be fertilizing as axolotls are very sensitive to chemicals due to their very permeable skin and I don't want to poison them. It will take a few months for the plants to really start growing as they don't have huge roots at the moment and there's no ferts.

Looks quite similar to my drawing as well. :lol:

Looks quite similar to my drawing as well.
I cant tell the drawing from the photo. I may throw out my camera and just get you to sketch everything for me.

Seems we have the same light on our tanks.

Tank looks great.

Thanks nick!
Today The white one has stopped floating. I don't know why, but he's chilling at the bottom peacefully. Ever since the rescape he's been tucked away under the sunken log or barrel resting.
I'm having a theory as to why they're floating ( doesn't make much sense but here goes ) . Maybe they float because there's not enough oxygen in the water and by adding real plants I've added oxygen so the axolotls are coming down to say hello.
Hopefully the white one will stay down and the gold one might sink soon as well but I doubt it. It's possible its a coincidence.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back