Trying to grow algae

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

goldfishattack

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I keep on trying to grow algae, nothin is really working well. I was thinking about going down to a lake near by and getting more algae and place it in a container with some of my fish tank water after i rinsed the algae off, and then just place by a window to get sunlight. will this work, and how can i get the best results?

ohhh yeah, after it is all grown i plan to put it in my tank, will this work too?

try putting your tank itself in direct sunlight. that seems to create algae for most people. of keep your tanks lights on longer (get stronger ones is need be).
(geez everyone else on here is trying to get rid of algae and youre trying to grow it you crazy person you :lol: too bad it can't be transferred from someone elses tank (or could it????), i'm sure you'd get plenty of suppliers!!!!!!!!)

If you want algae in your tank then slightly overfeed the tank while giving it decent lighting. :thumbs: I dont know why you want algae in your tank since it produces nitrate or nitrite (cant remember which). If you want natural greenery then get some plants. laf. Just becareful overfeeding because you will kill your fish if you dont keep a close watch on amonia and nitrates. 8) I personally try and eradicate algae in my tank, except for the benefitial kind on my biowheel.

The perfect way to get algae is to get a seperate bucket, condition the water, set it in a southern window, add ferts to the water, add some food. Basically do everything to the bucket that your told not to do other wise algae will grow :lol:.

Rose

Most reactions

Back