Trumpet and ramshorn snail

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

BoostedBoi

Reaction score
Hey guys I bought some Malaysia trumpet snails and some ramshorn snails but when I put them in my tank they just stayed in one place, one did go to the top of the tank but then stayed at the bottom. I had the the trumpet snails for about a week and the ramshorn snails I had for a day. I hope they aren't dead

Hi and welcome to the forum :)

The easiest way to see if the snails are alive is to gently and carefully try to open their operculum (the little door they use to seal themselves up inside their shell). If you use a fine needles to carefully try and lift the operculum, the healthy snail will pull it shut and hold it shut. If the operculum opens up and the snail pulls out of its shell, then the snail is dead.

If snails are not happy with the water quality they will close their operculum and stay hidden until conditions improve. Check the water for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate & pH and post the results here. If you don't have test kits take a sample of tank water to the pet shop and ask them to test it. Write the results down at the time they test the water and post them here. We want actual numbers, so if the petshop says the water is fine, ask them what the numbers are for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate & pH.

Some petshops also have copper test kits and it might be worth checking the copper level in the tank and water supply.

Myself, I would chuck the Malaysian livebearing/ trumpet snails out and just keep the ramshorns. But that's just me. Everyone else on here loves them but I think they are a pita and have no place in an aquarium. Just my opinion :)

We do love them, can you tell the OP why we love them so much?

We love them because Trumpet Snails are an asset to an aquatic environment. This is especially true in tanks with live plants.

Trumpet snails keep the substrate clean by eating all the crud and as they move thru it they release any gas pockets that may have developed.

But some people think having a clean healthy tank is a PINTA.

If your MTS are breeding like rabbits its because they have lots of food, and who's fault is that?

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back