Tropiquarium Hood - Inner Removal

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Bloo

~ I learn something new ~ ~~~~ every day ~~~~
Reaction score
A few people have asked me now to explain what I did with my hood and upgraded the lighting.
I always lose my pm's and end up re-writing the whole thing. So this is to make it easier for me to reference to - and refer others too :)

Now I'm sure a lot of you are going to say - it's so easy to DIY your own lid etc. BUT for various reasons this wasn't an option for me with limited hand tools - and no excuse for being female, but I just don't have electric saws etc. and fancy tools to put a DIY hood together.

As the Tropiquarium isn't of standard dimensions either, I couldn't just buy a new hood either (life would have been so much easier!)

I have a Tropiquarium 68 (72 litres / 19US gallons) that comes as standard like this:
(note, I just googled this first picture)

trop68.gif

As you can see, everything is built into the hood and the two 15W lights are covered with a plastic plate.
Unfortunately, living in London, this cakes up with Limescale pretty quickly and I found that very little light came through. And the plastic was impossible to clean and remove the limescale successfully.
My only choice was to rip everything out and try and DIY from 1.5 WPG (2x15W) to 2.8WPG (3x18W).

Due to bad design, the lid cannot be unhinged. And I couldn't possibly gut the lid without having the lid on a flat surface to work on. So firstly the hinges had to be cut off.

My tools were a Stanley knife, a little hand saw and a pair of pliers.
(please switch off all electric supplies to the hood and use care with the tools !)

Tropiquariumhood.jpg

Unscrew all the screws you can find that hold the white part to the hood. Remove the white part and then proceed to just rip out the ballast etc. until you get to this stage :

129_2906c.jpg

As you can see (on the right hand side of the hood) there is a plastic ridge - and some other ridge a few inches high at the back too. The 18W tubes will not fit in unless ALL inside ridges are removed. For this I used pliers and the little hand hack saw to just twist and break pieces off - and then smooth it out with the Stanley knife. Also cut down the"funnel" of the small cylindrical "plug" and get it as flush or low down to the inside of the lid too.

Unfortunately some of the ridges (at the back) actually kept the back part of the hood together, so I simply had to cut them off and then silicone them back (once the ridges were removed). This is not visible at all when viewed from above and does no visual damage from the outside.

(pardon the condensation)
129_2907c.jpg

The next step was to saw a couple of pieces of wood to fit as a small "bridge" on either side of the lid, to hold the lamps & reflectors. These were the siliconed in.

This is a photo pre-reflectors - but please don't do this without reflectors, as they actually get screwed into the wood to hold the lights. To just silicone them (like I first had it for a few days) is just a botch job.

Tropihood.jpg

Reflectors are an absolute must, and I suggest the Juwel ones for ease of use and fit (as opposed to Arcadia).

Simply screw the reflectors into the hood and add light tubes !

129_2936.jpg

I also removed all the battery/lcd/wiring components from the light timer and this now merely "sits" on the hood as a little feeding hole that I can just lift open to feed the fish.

I'm quite sure there are easier ways to modify this lid - but I'm very pleased with my end result.

Now obviously the lid is no longer hinged and just "sits" on top of the aquarium. This however isn't a problem and is till very secure. My cat jumps up and down all day long and it doesn't move.

This is a horrible old photo and my tank looks nothing like this (inside) anymore, but gives you an idea of the tank / hood.
119_1992.jpg

Or for more info, see my Planted tank thread.

Hope that help. Please don't hesitate to suggest an easier way to do this or ask further questions :good:

Superb guide Bloo :D

Hmm..... I'm wondering about modding my Trop 88 now, and adding 4 x 30" tubes !!! ;)

The Tropiquarium is an ideal 'all-in-one' tank for beginners etc, but doens't offer the flexibility that an experience aquarist requires for their tank !!! :D

Just wondering how easy it would be to modify the hood/electrics, to also allow the timer to still be used...... ;)

Not too difficult I reckon. Mind you, working for an electronics company, these things aren't to difficult to get help/advice on !! :D

Andy

Thanks a lot Bloo, Great guide !

I had put my Trop88 lighting upgrade on hold for a month or two whilst I get my other tanks setup.

Then I read your guide again and suddenly find myself pricing up twin 55w T5 compact tubes and controllers (£££) !

... Of course upgrading the lighting means I'll probably want to re-design the tank and change my substrate for Eco-complete (£££) and add a pressurised CO2 system (£££) and do the planned move to an external filter (£££).

Can you warn me before you plant these money spending ideas in my head :D

Mr G

:lol: thanks - same thing happened with me. Before I knew it, I bought Dennerle Quartz, Laterite, a substrate heater cable and pressurized CO2 (JBL Profi 2) :crazy:
In for a penny, in for a pount (or many!) I guess.

Ps: if you don't already know this, it's not cheap, but if you shop around and assemble your own pressurised bits and bobs it can be done a lot lot cheaper. And don't forget - eBay is your friend.

Then prepare for the fun and games of a fully planted high tech tank to start :S (you have been warned ;) )

:lol: thanks - same thing happened with me. Before I knew it, I bought Dennerle Quartz, Laterite, a substrate heater cable and pressurized CO2 (JBL Profi 2) :crazy:
In for a penny, in for a pount (or many!) I guess.

Ps: if you don't already know this, it's not cheap, but if you shop around and assemble your own pressurised bits and bobs it can be done a lot lot cheaper. And don't forget - eBay is your friend.

Then prepare for the fun and games of a fully planted high tech tank to start :S (you have been warned ;) )

:lol:

Heating cable ..... I knew there was something I'd forgotten ! :X

The tank currently has a DIY Co2 system feeding into it (2 x Nutrafin canisters) and the plant growth is actually fairly good, I need to cut back the stem plants at least every 10 days.

I'll be going for Eco-complete with a layer of Tahitian moon sand over the top. Eco-complete doesnt need anything over it (like laterite does) but I want the finer sand for the sake of my Panda and Juli Cory's and the black substrate should show the fish and plants off well ..... and it matches the Trop88 colour scheme !

All this comes just as I'm about finnished setting up my small 40ltr planted tank (see profile pic) and I have a 240ltr tank sat empty waiting for a little attention (£££). Just waiting for the nano glass diffuser to arrive. Oh and the 9" tweesers (for the HC and glosso) and the scissors and a little willow moss.....

DONT Read ... You'll only want to spend !!

(Revenge is sweet!) :lol:

Mr G
Note to self: Stay out of the DIY forum. Too many ideas !

:good: Sounds like you're well on track then with a good plan. Good luck :hey: (saving those pennies!)

You can unclip this hood use needle nose plyers insert them upwards through the opening in the black rim that surrounds the tank where the white hindge comes down. Squeeze the clip together and lift slightly on the hood. The use of a small mirror will help you see where the clip is

Most reactions

trending

Back