Tropical Clams

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

ian

plant your tank
Retired Moderator ⚒️
Reaction score
was in P@H getting some dog food and wondered over to the fish to see what they had in, they had some fresh water clams at £2 each. Has anyine got any of these? Can't see much in the way of profiles on the tintermacweb. Was tempted on getting some, but they didn't know much about them in P@H.

That's typical of p@h isn't it!? I have seen them, but thought they would restrict medicine options and they didn't seem to do much?

As far as im aware they filter feeed and can be heard to keep alive for long periods of time.

Hiya,
If they are Corbicula fluminea, i've read they average 1"-1.5" (2" is generally the very largest they grow to)

They filter feed from the water, seem to like water from 65f to 82f (for me and others now brainwashed with C that's 18c to 28c)

Can live for several years, and seem to do well in aquariums

Also from reading these seem to be causing a problem in the usa, as-in when they've been dumped etc in watercourses they become highly invasive (amazes me how people will dump non native species of anything without even remotely thinking of the consequencies, ohh well back ot)

So it seems with a decent aquarium, these might be fine is kept to managable numbers

As for how many to a specific gallonage etc i have no idea

Will do some more searching later

Have Fun

Tony

As far as im aware they filter feeed and can be heard to keep alive for long periods of time.

actually, they did know that in P@H after reading the ticket! Do they move around like traditional clams?

Hiya's,
Found a bit more info, sizing varies to 1/2" to 1" in this other info lol

"The Freshwater Clam is a living filter that helps keep aquarium water clear and clean. By removing uneaten food and detritus from the water column, the Freshwater Clam helps maintain water quality and lower nitrate levels. Like many freshwater bivalves, Corbicual sp. typically buries itself in the substrate. However, spotting its siphon protrude from the substrate is truly captivating to observe. This variety of the Corbiculidae family only reaches a length of about 2", which makes it a suitable addition to well-established aquariums of almost any size.

Though found in temperate freshwater rivers and lakes around the world, this species originates in Asia and has a brown shell, banded in black. For best care, house the Freshwater Clam in an aquarium of at least 10 gallons with medium to very fine substrate. The Freshwater Clam should not be housed with invertebrate-eating fish, such as freshwater puffers.

The Freshwater Clam obtains its nutrition from filtering food and detritus from the water column. If necessary, its diet can be supplemented with a quality invertebrate food. Keep in mind that the Freshwater Clam will not tolerate any copper-based medication. If treating the aquarium with medication containing copper, move the Freshwater Clam to another aquarium. Do not return the Freshwater Clam until the copper in the treated aquarium has been removed by means of chemical filtration"

Tony

http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?showtopic=216507&view=&hl=clam&fromsearch=1

Not a good idea.

cheers for that, i think we'll leave the Clams alone!

We could do with a profile for these things in the profile section, cos if they are becoming readily available, we should at least have a profile to educate people.

Most reactions

Back