Treating Ick

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

FishSticks

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I've been treating Ick in my 10-gallon aquarium for 9 days now... The first 3 days I build to a strength of one level teaspoon of common table salt per net gallon of water in my aquarium while gradually raising the temperature to 86 degrees. Although I didn't get to 10 tsp. of salt (only 6 tsp.) because people on this forum convinced me that there was a better way to treat Ick :p

Now for the last 6 days I've been doing 20%-25% water changes every day and using QuICK Cure as instructed on the bottle. I also gradually lowered my temperature back to 80 degrees because my fish were starting to look real stressed out. And I also didn't remove the carbon from my filter since it's been in there for over 2 weeks and I think someone else on here told me carbon becomes inactive after a while so it's safe not to remove it, was that a mistake? :whistle:

My Angelfish lost all the white spots on their body about 1-2 days ago and are starting to look healthy. I was planning to give them the last treatment of QuICK Cure tomorrow to make it 7 days of treatment, Should I continue the treatment any longer or is it safe to stop now? :/

how are the other fish?

If all the white spot is gone I would maybe give one more treatment and then leave it. There is no set time for getting rid of the little blighters. just keep checking

What fish do you have in your tank? Salt should not be used with scaleless fish, since it irritates their skin. You should also use aquatic salt (if you choose salt) and not table salt. I would take out the carbon, it is active for usually 4 weeks so will be absorbing the meds. I would also treat again after the very last spot has disappeared. Do you have tetra in your tank, and follow the dosage instructions on that particular med? Good luck! :)

You mean I've waisted 7 days of treatment because I didn't remove my carbon! :sad: I only have baby Angels and a baby pleco about 2-3" I don't think any of my fish are too sensitive to salt or medication. :D

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back