Treat Ich without chemicals

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

Unfortunately it isn't that simple. Many strains of ich are now resistant to high temperatures and you need to go over 90 to kill them - something most fish won't tolerate. Salt, obviously, also cannot be used with scaless fish effectively and considering the popularity of plecos, cories and loaches, I'm sure it's obvious why such treatments can be difficult to use on your average tank. In most situations, you can try to use natural methods and they may not cause any 'ill effects' but that doesn't mean they will work. There's no reason to subject fish to the stress of a major temperature fluctuation or change in salanity when there are perfectly good medications on the market that also have no ill effects but will work quickly and effectively. Just my opinion.

Yes I agree with what you say in many respects, I just wanted to let people know that they dont need to panic and instantly reach for the chemicals, As far as salt is concerned many fish can handle the measurement recomended for Ich treatment as long as its introduced gradually. But as you said it is differing opinions

Many strains of ich are now resistant to high temperatures and you need to go over 90 to kill them

i dont think high temps ever did kill ICH..... from waht ive seen it only speeds up the lifecycle so it falls off the fish quicker..... then comes back soon after... this is why people think there fish are cured...then they turn the temp down and the ich lives for a month before you see any agan....

Most reactions

Back