training bettas to do tricks - pavlov style

bettastar

Reaction score
hi i have a pretty vicious betta, that im trying to train to jump out of the water whenever i hold his feeding package above him. so far, i only feed him when he does this response, and im not sure if he really gets the idea...

but i was wondering if anyone had any success stories or tips to share? thanks

:D give him time and I'm sure you'll succeed but what if were to jump to high / far and land on the floor (that might not be so good). My Betta will come to the surface for food when I click my fingers. It also follows the nozzle of the hoover around when I vacuum the dust from around the outside of the tank. He's a nosey little beggar :lol:

my former betta (RIP) used to jump out of the water (well not completely out) when i held my fingers over his bowl at feeding time. he kinda started it by himself. he'd see me coming over and lifting his lid up, and he would get excited and stick his little face above the water. this soon evolved into jumping at my fingers every time i fed him. so cute :wub: to train him, i'd just say to keep doing what you are doing. maybe repetition is the best way.

A great book to read is Fish Behavior (I don't remember the name, but it has two cichlid pictures on the front). It has tons of info on training fish, their natural instincs, and much more!!( Man I'm sounding more like an ad every day!! :lol: )
Try a search through the library database.
Good luck!!
Robin

My betta jumps out and eats the food on my fingers when I hold it above his bowl :)

I Didnt have to train mine, i was lucky he did it the first day of feeding him, to bad he was on the side of my cichlid tank, i kept him there in a 10"x4" breeder net.
He jumped to high to eat and the oscar ending up getting a nice meal :(

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back