Toxic water chemistry

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

As essjay pointed out, we need to get at the bottom of the water properties.

As a first step, stop using fridge filtered water, stop microwaving water, stop all chemicals to adjust pH. Use only a conditioner at the level for the volume of water changed, nothing more. When we know the properties (GH, KH and pH) of the tap water on its own (do the tests as essjay instructed) we will be able to proceed.

You do have problems with the fish stocking, but that is not behind the water/toxic issue yet, so we can get back to that later.

Unless you are in the UK with a hot water system that uses a hot water cylinder in the airing cupboard, you can use hot tap water to warm the new water during a water change - and that includes combi boilers in the UK.
However, if you are in the UK with an airing cupboard, boil some water in a kettle to warm the new water. (It's the header tank in the attic that has potential problems for using hot water from the cylinder)

maybe its killing the good stuff and leaving the bad stuff to get out of control

Invest in a big bucket and a small aquarium heater, its much simpler to fill the bucket with water and stick a heater in for a few hours.

This is how I prepare water for my small fish tank, There is a heater and power head in there. I also have a 44 gallon drum and do the same thing for my 100 g tank.

dpfiKMP.jpg

Not all of us can do that. I change 85 litres of water a week in my main tank and my husband would not tolerate that amount of water standing in a container long enough for it to warm up. He is not a fish person :(

Hi there my nitrite is still .25
However my ammonia has gone down- thank you all. It was 4 now it's 1
PH is now 6.4
Nitrate is 40
Should I do another water change tomorrow? Or leave it for a day.

I would do another water change. Although the ammonia will be in the non-toxic form at that pH, there is no level of non-toxic nitrite.

But we still need to know about your tap water. Using tap water is better than using filtered water. If it turns out that your tap water is too hard for your fish, you need to mix your tap water with something else to make it softer, such as mixing it with reverse osmosis water. This is pure water, not tap water that has been chemically altered like filtered water from a fridge filter.

Hi there
I have the following results
GH 60
KH 0
PH 6.5
Nitrite 1
Nitrate 80
Ammonia .25

What are the test results for, tank water or tap water or filtered water?

If you could test all three and post the results it would help more. That way we would have something to compare the tank test results to.

My tap water is GH 60
KH 0
PH 6.5
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 20
Ammonia .25

What are the results for your tap water and the filtered water?

The tests for your tank show soft water - but is your tap water soft or is the tank water soft because you are adding filtered water? If the filter is a Brita type, that removes the hardness minerals and replaces them with hydrogen ions which lower the pH.
The tank test show zero KH. Is your zero tank KH because your tap water has low KH or because of the filtered water? Brita type filters remove KH as well.
Your tank pH is low - is this because your tap water pH is low or because of the filtered water?
Your nitrate is high. It is higher than allowed in drinking water. But your tap water could be anywhere between zero and the maximum allowed. We need to know how high your tap water nitrate is.

Are you still doing water changes to get both ammonia and nitrite to zero? And if you are, what type of water are you putting back in - tap or filter?

And you still haven't told us what the fridge water filter is like. If it is a cartridge like a Brita cartridge, it is not recommended to use this filtered water for fish tanks. Brita's FAQ's used to say this at one time.
I have Brita filter jug; I tested the filter water. It removed hardness and KH and dropped the pH very very low.

I added 5 ml of prime last night.
Use 1 capful (5 mL) for each 200 L (50 US gallons) of new water. For smaller volumes, please note each cap thread is approximately 1 mL. May be added to aquarium directly, but better if added to new water first. If adding directly to aquarium, base dose on aquarium volume. Sulfur odor is normal. For exceptionally high chloramine concentrations, a double dose may be used safely. To detoxify nitrite in an emergency, up to 5 times normal dose may be used. If temperature is > 30 °C (86 °F) and chlorine or ammonia levels are low, use a half dose.

http://www.seachem.com/prime.php

If 5ml's is for 200L, Then 1ml is for 40L( this is the amount of water you are or should be changing ).

I know we are asking you a lot of questions and it looks like we are being pains in the *** with all these questions, but without the answers we cant give you any advice.

My tap water is GH 60
KH 0
PH 6.5
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 20
Ammonia .25

You posted this while I was still typing, sorry.

So with those results from your tap water you don't need to use filtered water at all, just use tap water. You have soft water which is perfect for the fish you have.

Your tap water does contain some ammonia, though that could be because your water company uses chloramine to disinfect the mains water (chloramine contains ammonia). But this small amount should be removed by your filter bacteria quite quickly. Using Prime at the correct dose will detoxify this ammonia until the bacteria have had chance to 'eat' it.

The nitrate level in the tank is a lot higher than your tap water. It has to come from somewhere and the only way it can have got into the tank is by being made from the ammonia excreted by your fish. This does mean that you have filter bacteria in enough numbers to make nitrate.
But to get that high means that either you haven't been doing enough/big enough water changes, or you are over stocked, or you over feed the fish.

If you do a water change every day this will remove ammonia and nitrite and nitrate. Once you get the ammonia and nitrate down to your tap water level, and nitrite to zero, you can then go to weekly 50% water changes.

Once you get the water right, we can then talk about the fish you have. But first things first.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back