Totally new hobby.

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Justjo68

Reaction score
Hi.every one.My name is Jo.I have landed on this hobby by been given a tank.My father always had a fresh water tank when I was growing up.He recently past away and nostalgia took over me.So here Iam with a UK 2ft tank and not a clue what iam doing.Any begginers advice is very much appreciated.The tank has 4 marble Molly's.2 small angle fish.2 chiclids and a baby plec.iam on a very tight budget so I'm doing it in stages.

Welcome Jo to TFF, and the hobby. :hi:

I would prefer not to give bad news in response toyour first post, but I can't avoid it. The fish mentioned are going to overload your tank quickly. By 2 feet length I am assuming a 20 gallon (75 liter), or perhaps only a 15 g (56 liter). Please confirm. If either applies, the mollies will be too large (they should grow to 4-5 inches, some say even 6 inches), the angelfish will have real problems as they attain 6 inches length with a vertical fin span of 8 inches. If the plec is a common plec, it will easily get over 18 inches. The "cichlids" we need to pin down as to species, but there are very few cichlids that will work in this small a tank.

If the mollies are female and male, or both females that were impregnated before you acquired them, you will soon start seeing fry, and this can be dozens every month. They won't all get eaten, so they will need to go somewhere.

Second, what are your water parameters for your tap water? GH (general or total hardness), pH and KH (carbonate hardness or Alkalinity) are all relevant. Some fish have very specific needs when it comes to parameters. Your mollies for example must have moderately hard or harder water, while angelfish are soft water to moderately hard. We need to pin this down.

Third, do you know about cycling and did you cycle the tank before adding the fish? How long has this tank been running with fish?

With the above answered, several members will be able to help you out.

Byron.

Hi there and welcome to the forum.

I unfortunately have to agree there are some issues with the stocking.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back