Top water acting strange

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Planted tanks

Reaction score
I've got 5 gourami in a newly cycled tank and today I came home to my gold male sticking to top water just under my filter. Tank is moderately planted and water parameters are fine. Did notice a few white spots on him yesterday (monday) and it's definitely ich so I'm treating the tank, but have never had one stick to top water when they have plants and decorations to hide in, especially since they are labyrinths and it's not like he's gasping for air. Fins aren't clamped and he seems to be eating normally and not going up for air any more often than the others. The only other male in the tank is the opaline and from what I've seen they could care less there's another male in there. Should I be worried or just let him chill in his corner until the ich is cleared and see if he goes back to his normal behavior? I have treated with mild salt, raised temp and the regular "out of a bottle" ich treatment. And before anyone says it, I do quarantine my fish. He was already in the tank when it showed up so tank has to be treated anyway to be sure no cysts came off before I noticed them.

It does sound a bit like hes being bullied. Having ich tends to bring fishes vigour down too. Just need to keep an eye out and hopefully when the ich goes he'll be happier.

And before anyone says it, I do quarantine my fish
These things happen dont stress about it.

Slowly raise the water temp to 30 deg c for 5 days this will speed up the life cycle of the ICH and the medication you are adding will kill it.

Well I kept water temps at 78-80... probably close to the C temp you mentioned. Treated water 2nd time after 48 hours after coming home around 7pm to find the cysts... "spots"... coming off. Knew the ich was hitting it's susceptible life stage when it goes into swarm. Left to go help a coworker move some furniture. Came home around midnight to find the gold COMPLETELY gone. I pulled decorations today to see if the little guy went inside a log and passed.... nothing. Only conclusion I can come to is he jumped out, open top tank, and one of the dogs found him. The worst part is when I came home at 7 he was out and about without feeding so he was getting his spunk back. Poor guy is off to fishy heaven. I can't say the ich is surprising as both he and a bristlenose pleco both came from a major chain store and the pleco only made it 2 days. Found a great LFS that has an amazing plant and fish selection I believe I will be giving a shot from now on.

Sorry to hear that.

Most reactions

trending

Back