1. dechlorinator
2. cycling
3. stock in your tank
4. size of your tank
5. age of the tank
6. water stats
7. water changes
8. seashells in the tank
9. tell them how big common plecs get!!!

anybody got anything to add or amend?

~Commitment: some fish can live for many, many years. Take goldfish for example: the world's oldest goldie lived to be over 40.

Difficulty of some fish v's others eg hardiness or aggressiveness, and its not just pleco's that get B I G from a little size.

katchan

compatibility and the amout of money a fish tank costs to get up and running

Also what questions do you guys think beginner's/seasoned fishkeepers, should ask there lfs before they buy a fish. I know they should research the fish first but after that. Looking for good lfs testing questions too.

1. stats of tank fish come from
2. suitable tank mates.
3. potential size
4. minimum tank size
5. aggression level
6. dietary needs. (I saw a sign at petsmart that said dp's eat flake food :no: )

edit: btw I know common's aren't the only fish that grow like that but they do seem to be the most common mistake that new fishkeeper's make.

Filter as some have a small flter in a big tank.

I'm hoping for a lot of responses. If you get asked a question that you've been asked a million times before post it in here and maybe we can get a pinned topic that we can send people too. I know peole don't read the pinned topics but instead of retyping the same things over and over and over we can just refer them to this.

I no what you mean, water stats should always be posted, tank size what fish and which type, then what wrong with them, but i don't think it will happen.

Newbie: Why do you say I can't keep my goldfish in a bowl? Everyone else does, and theirs are fine.

Fishkeeper: Yes, they seem fine for a while, until they die after 2 or so years. This might seem ages, but goldfish can easily live over 20 years. You can't keep a golfish in a bowl because:

These fish grow to a large size. Keeping them in a small bowl might seem okay when they're little, but as they grow they need more room to swim. Put yourself in their position... how would you like to spend your short life pacing back and foward in a closet?

Goldfish DO NOT grow to the size of their tank/bowl! A common myth is that if you place a GF in a bowl it will keep growing until it is a maximum size to be comfortable in that bowl. Lie. While the outside may stay small, the fishs' internal organs continue to grow until the fish dies. This is called stunting, and is a very nasty thing.

There simply is not enough water in a bowl, even a 'large' one, to hold enough oxygen for any fish to thrive.

Newbie: But the LFS guy said I could!

Fishkeeper: Simply because 'the LFS guy said so' doesn't mean he's right. His job is to make money. I know this is cliche, but if the LFS guy told you to take a bath in petrol, wash your hair with beer and jump into your fireplace, would you?

go into your LFS with pencil and paper. Make a list of the fish you like and go home and research them. Look for compatiblity, diet, water preferences (high pH, low PH, soft water vs hard water), habitat, etc. From there, make your decision. This is more work, but this way you get fishes YOU like, rather than someone else's favorites. Ask tons of questions here, people here are awesome and very helpful!

quote from nicole. If you see something posted that you think would go well in this thread then edit it give credit and post it.

Most reactions

Back