Too Much Oxygen Killing Fish?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

cheekycharly

Reaction score
Hi all I have just come home to find one of my Sterbai Corydoras dead a neon tetra dead and 2 female guppies dead. Now the tank has been setup for years and the stats are all good only thing I have noticed is since I moved my Hydor Ario 4 bubble diffuser the other day it has decided to make tiny fine bubbles instead of big ones that hit the surface quickly. Now since it has done this I have noticed it only has to be on for 2mins before the whole tank is filled with tiny micro bubbles so my question is can too much dissolved oxygen be killing my fish? As my corydoras never die they are always the most hardy fish I have had.

P.S.My Ario 4 kicks in once the lights go out as i did read somewhere that the plants take in the oxygen when its dark and take in co2 when its light. And there isnt any bully fish in the tank causing this.

Thanks

Graham C :unsure:

I wouldn't say excess oxygen could kill fish, the air is only 16% oxygen, and not a lot of it is dissolved into the water, have you tested your water parameters?

Also, plants use oxygen 24/7, they constantly respire, but only photosynthesize in the day when it is light.

So we dont think the tiny bubbles killed my poor lal fishies hmmm. Params are all ok but there is something sadly wrong with my tank these days as I cannot for the love of money and god get plants to grow in it, they all go brittle and die. My waters PH is about 5.5 straight from the tap and I live in Cumbria (Lake District) and our water is pretty good up here. I use Co2 plant fert tablets for the roots and liquid trace elements as recomended and still nothing :shout: . I stooped so low the other night I put 3 tall fake plants in just to make it look like there is some colour.

I wouldn't say excess oxygen could kill fish, the air is only 16% oxygen, and not a lot of it is dissolved into the water, have you tested your water parameters?

Also, plants use oxygen 24/7, they constantly respire, but only photosynthesize in the day when it is light.

As far as im aware plants dont "use" O2, they produce it. They use CO2

Plants do both, they respire all of the time, and photosynthesize when light is available.

lol, i would say you, learned something then. :hyper:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back