Tons Of Thread Algae In New Tank

how long has it taken for yours to die off and what actions did you take in the end, mine seems to be more virilant than ever

Its not completely gone yet but it is a lot, lot better then it was. It only took about a week which about the same amount of time since my tank finished cycling and i saw a massive drop in nitrates. All I did was remove as much as I could by hand (took about 2 hours a day!), did frequent water changes (was doing around 30% every 2 days from setting the tank up until today). I did cut the ADA ferts down to half dose as well but I dont think this is what would make the difference (I'm pretty sure it was the excess ammonia and nitrate that caused it).

I got a dozen cherry shrimp today as well to help clean up :) They are tiny so I'm not sure how much algae they will clear but they are very, very, cute and fun to watch (when you can find them :) ).

how long has it taken for yours to die off and what actions did you take in the end, mine seems to be more virilant than ever

Its not completely gone yet but it is a lot, lot better then it was. It only took about a week which about the same amount of time since my tank finished cycling and i saw a massive drop in nitrates. All I did was remove as much as I could by hand (took about 2 hours a day!), did frequent water changes (was doing around 30% every 2 days from setting the tank up until today). I did cut the ADA ferts down to half dose as well but I dont think this is what would make the difference (I'm pretty sure it was the excess ammonia and nitrate that caused it).

I got a dozen cherry shrimp today as well to help clean up :) They are tiny so I'm not sure how much algae they will clear but they are very, very, cute and fun to watch (when you can find them :) ).
sounds good to me, im about to order more plants to help soak up nitrates ect. ive already got shrimp and they seem to be ignoring it :(
im hoping this ignoring it lark works :blush:

sounds good to me, im about to order more plants to help soak up nitrates ect. ive already got shrimp and they seem to be ignoring it :(

Damn I could have given you some Salvina Auriculata (chucked out loads of it :(). If you can get hold of some get a couple of peices. I started with about 5 square inchs of it and it now covers most of my tank. Nice quick grower that helps remove excess nutrients from the water column. If you want some in a couple of weeks let me know as i will probably have another bucketful spare :)

Damn I could have given you some Salvina Auriculata (chucked out loads of it :(). If you can get hold of some get a couple of peices. I started with about 5 square inchs of it and it now covers most of my tank. Nice quick grower that helps remove excess nutrients from the water column. If you want some in a couple of weeks let me know as i will probably have another bucketful spare :)

put me down for some of that, ill pay for postage if needs be :) ill swap you some hc and hm if mine ever recovers

Most reactions

Back