Today's a new day.

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

Cryptocorynes are fine but Duckweed isn't the best plant for Bettas. Water Sprite is a better plant for Bettas.

I was never into aquascaping and certainly not into paludariums. Your best bet for ideas is to Google search for paludariums and look at the images. Then pick things you like and incorporate those into your design.

Cryptocorynes are fine but Duckweed isn't the best plant for Bettas. Water Sprite is a better plant for Bettas.

I was never into aquascaping and certainly not into paludariums. Your best bet for ideas is to Google search for paludariums and look at the images. Then pick things you like and incorporate those into your design.
Yes, good idea. I was picking between Betta splendens, Boraras merah/brigittae and Microdevario kubotai for the project. I know that you didn't like aquascaping, but you did try your best in doing aquarium plants for fish. Older aquarists, like you, may not like aquascaping, but young people do. I was doing some small plants due to the water height (14cm). I'm slowly picking out the best bits and incorporating them into my design, like the mist on the waterline bit. Very interesting. Tanner (SerpaDesign) did this in one of his paludariums years ago. I like tiny fish, but I'm not ready for a Betta splendens yet. So my best decision is one of the latter two species because of their tiny size.

The plan for my paludarium is Epiphyte-only aquatic plants. Buce, Anubias, Java fern, Bolbitis, etc. Some Buce and Anubias species stay quite small which could be another option for you. And to help with natural filtering peace lily, pothos, monstera etc.

edit -
A great list on this video for filtering plants

Here's the fish store's (Aquotix is their name) past paludarium builds years ago from their Facebook page, that I'm trying to get inspiration from. They did look cool and I wish I had them. I like the ones with mist on them. They're cool. I'm focusing on the water bit at the moment, so it may take time to make some designs. @Colin_T, I understand that you don't particularly like the store, but they do a good job on the paludariums. I trust them for paludariums and nano-fish. They're the only one of the two aquarium stores in Perth (also Aquarium Gallery in Wanneroo) that have paludariums.

Attachments

• Screenshot (1371).png
    Screenshot (1371).png
    649.6 KB · Views: 9
  • Screenshot (1372).png
    Screenshot (1372).png
    2.3 MB · Views: 5
  • Screenshot (1373).png
    Screenshot (1373).png
    712 KB · Views: 5
  • Screenshot (1374).png
    Screenshot (1374).png
    1.9 MB · Views: 7
  • Screenshot (1375).png
    Screenshot (1375).png
    572.2 KB · Views: 7
  • Screenshot (1376).png
    Screenshot (1376).png
    2 MB · Views: 9
  • Screenshot (1377).png
    Screenshot (1377).png
    2.1 MB · Views: 8
  • Screenshot (1378).png
    Screenshot (1378).png
    1.1 MB · Views: 8
Today's Saturday. I have to wait patiently for the fish store's future paludarium workshop dates. When it's 4 April, they will tell me the dates. My brother's leaving for Canberra for a schools convention in two days' time. I have lots of time for ideas and to think. I was thinking about the ideas that I will implement into my design. I did a water change in the morning and will feed the tetras in a few hours time.

Hi @CaptainBarnicles,

How's your rainbowfish tank going? I hope the rainbows are doing great, they look stunning. I understand that you might not want another rainbowfish tank for now, but I can give you ideas about planning one. In my world, I did another 60cm paludarium design sketch (but not posting it until a journal is created) before the workshops hosted by a LFS and I'm waiting very patiently for future dates in April. Do you have good advice regarding designing paludariums via trial and error?

Good morning @Colin_T, the family and my brother's friend are going to a burger bar called Milky Lane. There are currently two locations in Perth (Elizabeth Quay and Curtin University, the one we will go to), with a third location going to be doing a grand opening soon. Here's the menu of the restaurant, I know some burger names are weird, but that's how it is:

Are you going to Milky Lane too?
Have you been there before?
What's the food like? That's probably a silly question to ask a teenager. You kids love fast food :)

Are you going to Milky Lane too?
Have you been there before?
What's the food like? That's probably a silly question to ask a teenager. You kids love fast food :)
There are burgers, milkshakes, sides and dessert in here. Have you read the menu? Yes I will go, but not my younger sister. She wants to stay home. Yes, I have been to the Elizabeth Quay restaurant, but not the Curtin restaurant yet. I don't drink alcohol, and never will as an adult, so I'll ask them if there is a non-alcoholic version of the Bubble-O-Bill drink they sell. There are mash potato balls, too.

Yeah I looked at the menu. Nothing there for me (too many food allergies) :)

Oh, and @Colin_T, welcome to the weird world of burger restaurants, where burgers and drinks have weird names. :) I like the occasional burger meal. Milky Lane is not as fast as Maccas' when it comes to serving food, but does fit the definition of 'fast food'. I might have the burger with chicken, mashed potato and Belgian (No it's not French because its French origins are a myth) fries on it. Sounds like a weird mix, but maybe it's for taste purposes? I might have a Crunchie milkshake because they endorse brands such as this. And I might top up with some mash potato balls. They're fried balls with potato inside them. Their burgers are betta (pun intended :D ) than most Maccas' burgers because they know how to properly make a burger.

I tried a bubblegum milkshake for the only time at a Hungry Jack's because there was an influx of them after the promotion died away. Tasted pretty good actually. I like sweet foods, bubblegum fitting the definition. I just like sweet foods, but not too sweet like the French cake bites because of the icing and stuff that are in them. I just like American cuisine because why not, we grew up with them. Not the Marlboro Country horse and cowboy ads of the 70s and 80s, but literal Maccas' and Hungry Jacks ads popping up on TV time to time. And yes, Hungry Jack's has a 'Cowboy' burger. Weird but fitting name for an American-style onion burger.
Yeah I looked at the menu. Nothing there for me (too many food allergies) :)
Okay. I understand that you're allergic to most foods because of chemicals and stuff that goes in food. Did you go to burger places before?

Okay. I understand that you're allergic to most foods because of chemicals and stuff that goes in food. Did you go to burger places before?
When I was younger I used to visit Hungry Jacks on a regular basis. That was when they first came out in WA back in the 70s. But I haven't eaten anything like that for decades. There was an Italian Delicatessen in Palmyra that I used to visit for lunch when I was working at Vebas back in the late 80s. They did a really nice steak burger with the works. It was a big bread roll sliced in half. A piece of steak (not a beef patty) with lettuce, carrot, cheese, capsicum, pineapple and a few other things. It was nice.

When I was younger I used to visit Hungry Jacks on a regular basis. That was when they first came out in WA back in the 70s. But I haven't eaten anything like that for decades. There was an Italian Delicatessen in Palmyra that I used to visit for lunch when I was working at Vebas back in the late 80s. They did a really nice steak burger with the works. It was a big bread roll sliced in half. A piece of steak (not a beef patty) with lettuce, carrot, cheese, capsicum, pineapple and a few other things. It was nice.
Yum.

I do have an understanding about the fishkeeping hobby. Older people might not like aquascaping but young people do. We live in a generational gap. I'm going to join the class of 2024 in October. What year were you the class of what? What did you learn when you were a Year 12 student, Colin? I'm learning history, English, Foods, Math, Art and other subjects this year.

Most reactions

Back