To salt a betta tank or not salt a betta tank...

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

BettaMomma

Fish Aficionado
Reaction score
I have overcome my fear of salt baths and just salt in water that fish will be in, in general.

SO... my question is this - should salt be put into a betta's tank regularly (or, I guess regularly when they're sick)
The guy at my lfs said that salt can actually be very irritating and have an adverse effect on a bettas, even if you only put it in the tank when they're feeling sick.

Now, I have read several accounts on this forum where it's been successful and is a GOOD thing. Is everyone in agreement that the salt is, in fact, a GOOD thing for bettas? Or not?

i add half a tablespoon of salt to my 5 gallons every full water change

Salt should only be used when the betta is off colour or sick where salt helps out.

Anytime you use something to combat a disease...it should only be used at that time. The diseases that attack our fish are normally present in the water at all times, it's only when our fish get stressed that they become ill. If you salt all the time the betta will become immune to the salt. It's body will be used to it's presence..therfore the salt will either be ineffective or only mildly effective.

You aren't using the salt to remove anything from the water or treat the water itself...you are using it to treat the fish when it is feeling poorly...you wouldn't constantly used Melafix or Tetracycline on a daily basis would you?

IMHO, only use it when they are sick.

I use salt for:

• Disinfecting tanks (ie- scrubbing them out with concentrated salt water)

• Dipping sick bettas

Short term dips basically irritate the fish's scales and stimulate them to build up a thick layer of the protective mucus that is usually present in healthy fish. It also makes it easier for them to breath. I think it is not very good to use it as a long term treatment, however, because it raises the pH of the water ENORMOUSLY. (Yes, I have tested the water after I added it and the pH is off the charts.)

Great, thanks for all the responses.
I thought I knew what the answer was, and it turned out I was right.

Yay for me.
:kana:

I add a pinch of salt for evey 1.6L of water (1/3rd a teaspoon per gallon or so).

Most reactions

Back