Tnc Fertiliser

yep it's the same recipe that Tropica use, just cheaper. Win Win!

I haven't personally, but know people who do and they have had exactly the same results as TPN+. I do plan on trying it out next time though.

yep it's the same recipe that Tropica use, just cheaper. Win Win!

Yep will do the same job as TPN+ however it definitely isn't using the Tropica recipe. they are much different:

% / TPN+ v TNC Complete
N = 1.34 v 1.5
P = 0.1 v 0.2
K = 3.89 v 5.0
Mg = 0.39 v 0.8
B = 0.01 v 0.01
Cu = 0.002 v 0.002
Fe = 0.08 v 0.08
Mn = 0.02 v 0.02
Mo = 0.002 v 0.002
Zn = 0.01 v 0.01

So it is much higher on the macros (and Mg) whilst still being the same for trace.

A quite obvious difference is that TNC is vivid green, TPN+ is a turquoisy blue. Something different in there (iron type probably) or someone is using a dye. lol. Most likely it is the trace element mix that they buy already blended to make the fertiliser where Tropica will mix their own trace from individual elements.

So yep they do the same but if you dose the same then you are either adding more NPK/Mg or if reducing to level that out then you are adding much less trace. trade off ;)

my TPN+ is the same colour as TNC :p and i wouldn't say they're much different. They are all derived indirectly from the TPN+ recipe.

my TPN+ is the same colour as TNC :p and i wouldn't say they're much different. They are all derived indirectly from the TPN+ recipe.

Must be the picture then colourwise ;) unless TPN+ has changed colour over the past 5 years.

Yep would've been derived from the TPN+ recipe but they must've made a concious decision to increase the NPK and Mg. Those 4 are very easy to get exactly the same %. I was just pointing out that they are different in content % wise.

Either way they both will work as well as each other.

Tropica uses 2 dyes to differentiate between + and normal, TPN uses a dye in the Complete and it's Trace's colouring in the Lite.
TNC Complete is based on a very popular, tried and tested methodology ;)

My experience has been that lots of folks claim to know the Tropica formulas. I am dubious. I have used Mastergrow for 8+ years and now use TPN. I tried some of the formulas for diy Tropica. I am back to buying the real stuff. I only have ever used the non-macro versions as I dose macros myself rather than as part of a mix.

I am very leery of terms such as "just as good as" or the same as ingredients as". I am sure Tropica willingly shares its trade secrets, doesn't everybody? :no:

Before you add negativity TTA :p They did share it though TTA, it's called the trade descriptions act. Andy has put the ingredients up there ^^^^^

So, it's 'just as good as' tpn +

Tropica has always been open about what is in there TPN+

an email from Tropica

Tropica has *always* supported the idea that folks should *know* what is in the product or at least be able to know if they have a hankering. Tropica is one of those companies that *wants* you to know what is in their products.

Before you add negativity TTA :p They did share it though TTA, it's called the trade descriptions act.

The stating of which ingredients used to make any product do need to be listed on the pack (although I'm not sure this covers all industries - it is certainly true in cosmetics), but there is no requirement for the precise quantities to be published - otherwise any formula currently on the market could be instantly copied. The fact that Tropica chose to share theirs is not related to any legal requirement.

it was sarcasm ZZ, Tropica aren't even covered by TTDA due to them being in Denmark. But it is true about Tropica being very open about what they put in TPN+, drop em an email and they will tell you.

I love worms and cans and cans full of worms :drool:
I have to admit I've not read them for a while but there are various regulations relating to fertilisers and declaration of their make-up.
The most common you'll see is N-P-K which is total Nitrogen (N), Phosphorus Pentoxide(P[sub]2[/sub]O[sub]5[/sub]) and Potassium Oxide (K[sub]2[/sub]O) - This is what Seachem refer to as "the archaic fertilizer laws" as the P and K dont actually exist in this form and would be much better standing for Phosphorus and Potassium.

Having said all that I'm not sure if they have to declare them on Aquarium ferts but I did notice Tetra (I think it was) have started to comply recently, Seachem always have, The Nutrient Company always have as does Tropica.
You've probably guessed it's to stop companies from simply saying that they contain magic moon juice when they don't, although you will still see stuff in a cosmetic style (like aqua or macro ocean algae extract is a good hydroponic way to say seaweed)
Also worth noting is that you don't have to give the actual ingredients, just the values, but again we know now that there is no magic, just KNO[sub]3[/sub], KH[sub]2[/sub]PO[sub]4[/sub], K[sub]2[/sub]SO[sub]4[/sub], mgSO[sub]4[/sub] and a few other common ingredients. (Chelates for the micro's are a bit different, but again, no secret magic ingredients there either)

Ultimately it's less about being able to copy stuff and more about being up front about what's in your products. The marketing machine still counts for an awful lot, that's why Tetra, JBL, KB etc are so good at selling trace minerals and water :good:

oh, IMO.

EDIT: ...and if you pay money for ferts etc without knowing the analaysis I have a lovely suit made of the finest rarest silks, to you - £500,000

it was sarcasm ZZ, Tropica aren't even covered by TTDA due to them being in Denmark. But it is true about Tropica being very open about what they put in TPN+, drop em an email and they will tell you.

arrrgghhh, this sarcasm on the internets thing is awful! :)

Most reactions

Back