Tizer's 90 Litre Tiger Barb / Krib Tank

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Tizer

Team TetraTEC
Reaction score
Hola!

Well i've been using this forum for a few months now since getting back into Fish. My parents used to have some when i was younger and around November last year i decided i fancied having a crack. So i bid on a 240L Juwel tank on eBay and it all began from there.

The tank is now 4 months old and i've stocked it with some of my favourite fish, mostly Corydoras, Breeding Kribs, Neons, Black Neons, Bleeding Heart Tetras, Bolivian Rams and a couple of SAE's.

Since putting the Kribs in and having them breed i've noticed the vast majority of the fish move to the opposite end of the tank. I knew this would be the case if it happened but i didnt realise quite how much space they they would demand.

So basically, this new tank is going to be setup for the Kribs to allow my 240 to become a little more placid* for want of a better word and im going to have a crack at it with another favourite fish, Tiger Barbs.

So a few weeks ago i won a 90Litre Fluval Roma on eBay, got it home and gave it a really good clean up. This weekend just gone i filled it up and cleaned the left over sand i had from my big tank and dumped it in along with two bits of bogwood that were just looking out of place in the big tank :

dsc00987ze.jpg

Once this was done i bust open my 240's external 305 filter and nicked some white ceramic biomedia, i picked some quite dirty bits from the bottom tray, around 10 in total.

The Internal filter that came with this 90L requires 3 filter sponges, so i cut out the middle of the center sponge and sandwiched in the ceramic media, popped it into the filter and set it going.

I gave it a few hours then popped down to the localfish shop and spent about 30 minutes mulling over what to get, the Tiger barb's were the most attractive on offer, so knowing they were little nippers, i got 12.

Got them home plopped them into the tank (which was still cloudy):

dsc00988s.jpg

They checked out their new home for a good 30 minutes sticking in a tight formation before they settled in and scattered around a little. :)

So,

Day 1: ammonia 0, nitrite 0

The next day i popped down to Pets at Home! Yey! (I dont use them for livestock, but in all honesty the local shop isnt too bad) and purchased some cheap backing from the tank to stop the light from the window coming through so much. Fortunately it never gets direct sunlight so no risk of heating the water up.

Backing on and the tank takes a little more form:

dsc00995uo.jpg

In the evening i did a water test so

Day 2: ammonia 0.25, nitrite 0 - did a 50% water change.

Its quite suprising how quickly such small fish can pump out ammonia.

Tonight, the water is very clear, although the glass is a little murky and the xmas moss on the bogwood has a new lease of life:

dsc01000t.jpg

So, water test done and you can see the ammonia test in the middle is very very slightly green, not even reaching 0.25, the lowest reading on the API testkit. Fingers crossed the mature media is already doing its job.

The ammonia test on the far left is from my 240 tank, i wanted something to compare it to as the light in this room is a little dim. I also wanted to double check that stealing the media from the big tank wasnt causing a problem in there.

Day 3: ammonia 0.10, nitrate 0 - no water change done, going to let the bacteria have dinner, since this level of ammonia isnt going to have any immediate adverse effect on the Tigers.

For those of you who use the tests you might notice i've only half filled the test tubes, which means 4 drops of each liquid instead of 8. Handy tip if you want to make it last longer. :shifty:

I'll keep this going in additional posts from now on when i get updates. I love reading peoples tank Logs, i hope this one proves interest to some of you too.

The general goal is to create a lightly planted tank, with several caves fit for breeding Kribs and to provide an attractive dither fish for the Kribs to feel safe (I dont really class Tigers as dither fish, like neons, but feh, you know what i mean). I dare say i will also boost the Tiger numbers up to 20 in a few weeks time. For those who feel this might be too many, you might be right and if i start to feel the same, they will get a home in the 240litre before reaching maturity. ;)

When its finished cycling, i'll remove the filter and show you how it was seeded.

Day 4: ammonia 0.25, nitrate 0 - With ammonia up to 0.25 this evening, as expected i did a 50% water change.

Nothing new to add appart from a first small frozen bloodworm feed after the water change, hopefully teach them a little disruption comes with a reward afterwards :)

Moved the bogwood to the middle of the tank and poured water into it so it didnt disrupt the sand. If you dont have anything to hand i've use a glass bowl before and just left it in there. saves putting your hands in the water and reduces the natural oil slick on the surface ;D

I did the same last night a little bloodworm for a treat. But mine was just before the water change.

Day 5: ammonia 0.15, nitrate 0 - Very slight ammonia reading tonight, very hard to tell the difference, decided to leave it for the night.

Since removing the media from the 305 filter didnt make a blind bit of difference i decided to take a little more and double the amount inside. Took the opportunity to grab a picture:

dsc01005.jpg

Although it might be quite hard for the bacteria to travel and seed the sponges i'm not all that worried as im quite happy leaving the filter like this and just cleaning the sponges at odd intervals throughout the year. Im sure it will seed eventually, if it does i'll chuck the ceramics back into the 305. Im also a bit paranoid about cleaning the sponges too much and losing bacteria, at least with the cermaic pieces i know they cling onto those like mad.

I have yet to cleam my media but my spongoes i just give them a shake in the tank water i remove on a water change every few weeks.

Very cool boog3ee :D They look a little more adult than mine. I think they are ace, they dont shy away and will quite happily swim around your hand if you dunk it in the water the change something. :)

Very cool boog3ee :D They look a little more adult than mine. I think they are ace, they dont shy away and will quite happily swim around your hand if you dunk it in the water the change something. :)

They sure are getting big and slightly fat, especially the golden colored ones! I moved them from my big tank to their own tank and apparently they had left eggs lying around there, and a little later there were tiny tiger barbs swimming around the big tank with the discus... they didnt survive for long though unfortunately, i presume they were an easy snack for the discus or the angels...

I'd forgotten how good a group of tiger barbs loeked. very impressive for both of your tanks

Excellent tip about the tests!!

Question. How can you measure a 0.15ppm with the API master test kit? My scale only goes from 0 to 0.25.

Excellent tip about the tests!!

Question. How can you measure a 0.15ppm with the API master test kit? My scale only goes from 0 to 0.25.

Bit of a guest really buddy, it wasnt quite getting to the 0.25 but i wanted to put something down :)

Day 6 - Morning: ammonia 0.25, nitrate 0

I did this test this morning when i got up, knowing last nights test was getting on close for 0.25. Did a 50% water change before leaving for work.

This evening i did another test

Day 6 - Evening: ammonia 0.05, nitrate 0

Ammonia was ever so slightly green, hardly able to tell the difference between main tank and this one, with the main being 0

Went down the garage and found some old stones from a previous tank years ago and my old dear gave me a teracotta bell, which is about as close to a plant pot as you can get, so it went into the tank too :) The Kribs might appreicate it later on.

dsc01006l.jpg

Dont know about you but i think it looks like a bit of a desert scape, just need to get some saloon doors on the pot and some cactus and i got me a western style fish tank, lol.

I dont know if it will last, but gives the fish something else to amuse themselves with. If i plant it up with some valis at the back and some cryptos in the middle it might look alright :)

Ohhh i like the colours of the rocks Tizer, nice grain colours.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back