Time to add some fish

Sorrell

If you're a bird, I'm a bird
Reaction score
Some of you know that I lost my discus about 3 months ago. They lived in a 29 gallon tank with some other fish. Now that I don't have the discus anymore, I am looking for suggestions on what I should maybe add. I have a few ideas, but I am looking for outside opinions.

Currently the tank has:
7 rummynose tetras
2 kuhli loaches
2 japanese algae eating shrimp
2 Japanese rice fish (peaceful)

Sand substrate, planted, and it is a 29 tall. I could defintely use some color, so....fire away :)

Thanks! :wub:

Sorrell said:
Some of you know that I lost my discus about 3 months ago. They lived in a 29 gallon tank with some other fish. Now that I don't have the discus anymore, I am looking for suggestions on what I should maybe add. I have a few ideas, but I am looking for outside opinions.

Currently the tank has:
7 rummynose tetras
2 kuhli loaches
2 japanese algae eating shrimp
2 Japanese rice fish (peaceful)

Sand substrate, planted, and it is a 29 tall. I could defintely use some color, so....fire away :)

Thanks! :wub:
That's too bad. How did they die? Umm as for colour... maybe a pair of rams?

I'd add some more Medakas (rice fish) and
wow I haven't seen any of them in 15yrs or so. (envious)

Oh yeah I'd also get a school for danios,
maybe glowlights for a splash of colour. :whistle:

Cory cats? You could add in 3-4 little cories and I bet they'd have fun with the loaches...

HI Sorrell

First, I'd suggest you add a few more kuhlis. They like being in a group and could become more active and visible if there were a few more of them.

It would almost be a shame to have a sand bottomed tank without making it home for a few corys too. If you are looking for color, the C. sterbai and C. melanistius are lovely and not difficult to find. If you think mail order, there are a wide array of them available. Here's a link:

http://www.planetcatfish.com/catelog/calli...ra/g_thumbs.htm

Inchworm said:
It would almost be a shame to have a sand bottomed tank without making it home for a few corys too. If you are looking for color, the C. sterbai and C. melanistius are lovely and not difficult to find.
I know, it's almost a crime to have a sand substrate and not have some cories, huh?! ;) :p :lol:

I definitely agree with everyone else who has said get more Kuhlis...I have four in my 10 gallon and I love watching them play in the plant stems and sleeping in a heap. :wub: And yeah, Cory's would be good with the sand substrate too, and they get along great with Kuhlis. :thumbs:

For color, I'd say go with some Gourami's. I just bought three Pearls about two weeks back and they are wonderful little fish. :wub: Pearls and Honeys are very peaceful, as are Dwarfs, although I believe Dwarfs are most often infected with worms and/or parasites, so I would bypass those. :/

If Gourami's ain't your thing try Angels. They're beautiful fish, and since your tank is a tall, you should have plenty of room for them to grow. :D

And my last suggestion...Rainbowfish. If I had room in any of my tanks, I would so go out right now and buy some. Bosemani and Dwarfs are two of my favorites and they will definitely add a ton of color. :nod:

Hope this helps you get some ideas! :kana: Let us know what you decide to do. :nod: :thumbs: :D

I have a bad taste in my mouth after just getting rid of some demon rainbowfish :lol: I think it was because I had 3 each of boesemanis and splendids.... They really are schooling fish and should be kept in groups of 4+ if possible. Depending on the dimensions of your tank (since Arashi mentioned it's a tall), I would probably stay away from boesemanis - they get to 4" and need lots of horizontal swimming room.

The dwarfs would be good though :thumbs:

I like the idea of a school dwarf rainbows.

If you do gouramis, I would do Croakers or Sparklers. :wub:

You could do a few colorful swordtails (free live food for your cichlids :drool: ).

If you could find some New Guniea Rainbows, that would be nice.

They are the most active fish I 've ever owned and they are very beautiful, like little river fish :wub:

Thanks for all the replies and suggestions! I would love to get some more kuhlis, I just can't find any :/ The two I have are the only ones I have seen in over a year, so they are definately on the add list, just have to find some more.

I would like to add some more of the rice fish, but same deal, they were sent to the fish store by mistake, and I've never seen them since. -_-

How many cories could I add without overdoing the bottom of the tank? I can't think of the demensions of the tank, but it has the same footprint as a standard 20 gallon :thumbs:

I really appreciate all the help, so often when I think about fish to add to my own tanks my mind just goes blank :S

You could easily add 4 (maybe more) cories. Probably even up to 6, if you get some pandas or other smaller cory. The pandas only get to 2" and they're all really low-waste producers.

What kind of cories does your lfs have?

Pandas, emerald, pygmies, agazzsi (sp?) schwartzi, and julli (sorry I don't know how to spell cory names) I don't know if they are really those kinds or not, and get this-I have two kinds of cories in other tanks, but I don't remember which kind they are :eek:

We live about 2 hours from a fish store though, so I do most of my shopping online, so if you suggest a kind that are nice, I could maybe find it that way. Except the darn kuhlis, I can't even find them online, a lot of places have them listed and then they are backordered for the rest of your life :rolleyes:

Most reactions

Back