Time once again for stupid question of the week

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

BettaMomma

Fish Aficionado
Reaction score
SO.
Now that I have female betta girls, I've been doing some reading on them but rather than wade through several more websites where I'm not sure that people really know what they're talking about, I'll just ask them here.

And YEP, I already know that I'm once again going to win the award for stupidest questions of the week. :p

2 of my girls - Millie and Cloey - have very fat bellies.
I had assumed that it was because of the HUGE amounts of food they eat, but now that i've done some reading about eggs and such, i wanted to know if someone could explain to me how the whole egg thing works. lol
At first, too - Cloey was the most aggressive of the tank. Now Millie has taken over and chases everyone else around...
There are no males in sight of them, so if someone could explain to me what I should expect.
Thx.

so if someone could explain to me what I should expect.
Fishy PMS :p

I don't think I understand the question. You shouldn't expect much, just make sure they don't get soo overfed that they swell with abundant eggs or anything. Sometimes they get so full that they become eggbound and even if you attempted to breed them they wouldn't be able to release them.

I've seen girls who are the opposite and they spill eggs on their own as well...then they eat them :rolleyes:

LOL

I don't know what I should ask.
I just know nothing about the eggs - what they look like, how often they'll appear, etc.

I'm a female betta idiot.
lol

I've noticed that, when my girls are especially full of eggs, they do tend to get more aggressive with the other girls. Sometimes a girl that has never been a problem will suddenly start to pick fights with the other girls. But usually, all the aggression stays pretty low and well-managed, so I don't worry about it too much.

Millie and Cloey may go on for a while looking very, very round, but, eventually, they'll probably either drop the eggs or reabsorb them into their own bodies. Becoming eggbound seems to occur only rarely, so keep an eye on them, but don't worry too much at this point.

My girls get really big with eggs and then one morning I wake up and they're all over the sandy bottom of their tank :rolleyes:

The eggs are small and white about the size of a pin head so you may not notice them if you have gravel as they would fall between the gaps. I'm not quite sure how often they appear as I have 4 females in my tank and not sure if just the same one keeps dropping them.

Had a lovely carpet of them in the tank this morning :lol:

Hmm....
all very interesting stuff.
Millie must be full up with them cuz MAN has she been a hag lately.
She doesn't bite or anything but she swims along side a certain fish and when that fish gets irritated then it eggs her on and she just chases them around the tank. she's even bashed her face into the glass a time or 2 because someone else swerved off quickly and she didn't have time to react. lol
Daisy ignores her so she only does it for a while with her, then gets bored.

Little snotty witches sometimes, they really are.
Reminds me of high school.
:rolleyes:

Most reactions

trending

Back