Tiger barbs stocking?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Casey55

Reaction score
Hi

New member and also new to tropical fish. ( had cold water fish in the past)

I have a jewul rio 180 tank. I'm thinking of putting in tiger barbs or green barbs.

1. how many would I be looking at as I don't want to over stock the tank?

2. I was thinking of maybe a red tailed shark if they could be in the same tank. if my tank is big enough as I keep reading they can go in different size tanks and still unsure what to believe.

Otherwise any other fish that can go with barbs that stay near bottom of tank please.

Thanks in advance any help would be appreciated.

If you only intend Tiger Barbs (whether the original, green or albino forms, it is the same species) you could have a group of 15-20. A group of 12 (minimum) with another barb should work. Keeping the shoal at 12+ will usually control aggression. Some substrate fish are fine with either option, but not the Red Tail Shark.

The RTS is not a peaceful fish. Individuals vary in temperament, but this can be a very nasty fish. Other substrate fish are generally impossible. And it is known to take a dislike to vertical-barred upper fish--like Tiger Barbs--for reasons no one knows, but it happens. It also gets to five inches.

There are options for other substrate fish, since you ask. Some of the loaches would work very well, the species that do not get too large (many do). The dwarf loach (Ambastaia sidthimunki), the Angelica (Botia kubotai) or Zebra Loach (Botia striata). Common names are very confusing, some apply to several species, so I've included the scientific name. Some "Zebra" Loaches can get enormous and full of trouble, so you need to know which it is.

Byron.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back