Tiger Barbs in a 10 gal tank?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

lbrookep13

Reaction score
I recently adopted a 10 gal fish tank that came fully equipped and there were already 2 tiger barbs and several small snails in the tank. While researching about the fish I just adopted I noticed they are active schooling fish and a 10gal tank is too small. I'm not sure how long the previous owner had them but are they okay? I feel bad knowing that they are actually cramped. ( I considered 1 or 2 more fish in the tank but now I don't want to crowed it anymore, I'm happy to leave it with just the 2 fish an snails) I've decided to treat them to some brine shrimp regularly so maybe they aren't so miserable! they seem happy and playful so far. Just wanted some opinions. Thanks!

it is not an ideal environment for tiger barbs....they should be in a larger group in a much larger tank,

however, if they are the only 2 in the tank, and have been in that tank for quite some time, keep them,

but i wouldn't recommend getting any other fish.....the barbs will chase them around like flies to manure

it is not an ideal environment for tiger barbs....they should be in a larger group in a much larger tank,

however, if they are the only 2 in the tank, and have been in that tank for quite some time, keep them,

but i wouldn't recommend getting any other fish.....the barbs will chase them around like flies to manure
I was very disappointed when I learned this while researching. I figured it was like housing any other pet, it wouldn't be best to take them back to a pet store. Thank you for the input, I'm just gonna do my best to give them a happy environment.

I agree, with some explanation so you lbrookep13 know what's behind all this.

Shoaling species of freshwater fish need a group of their own species to function normally. This is programmed into their DNA so we call it an inherent requirement. Without others of the species, they will be under stress; this can be handled in two ways, increased aggression or the opposite. Both are the only methods the fish has of dealing with the situation. The green citation in my signature block refers to this aspect.

There are several reasons why the group is important: security, interaction, hierarchy are the main issues. Different species may rely more on one or more of these, but they have that inherent need and without it they will not be in the best condition, or healthy as they could otherwise be. A scientific study a couple years ago documented for the first time that increased aggression was the normal response when there were insufficient numbers of the species.

Turning to the Tiger Barb species, we have a fish that is normally on the feisty/aggressive side. Excessive aggressive behaviour can be curtailed with more I the group, at least 10. This can only occur in a 30 gallon aquarium, minimum. And with no other fish species. Larger groups in larger tanks can have other species included, provided they are well thought out. Not every fish species will manage with any other, both ways.

We don't know how long these two barbs have been subjected to this frankly cruel behaviour,. but that is not your fault, it was done and now you must move forward as best you can. It might be inadvisable to put these two in a larger tank with more of their species; we cannot forsee the result unless we do it. Monitor their behaviour, give them the best care you can, and hope things work out for better not worse.

taking them to a pet store is not a fool proof solution.....

chances are the next person to buy them will give them a worse home then the one they are already in
Exactly. Plus, as far as I've seen, the pet store keeps them in smaller tanks and large groups which is what I'm trying to avoid.

I agree, with some explanation so you lbrookep13 know what's behind all this.

Shoaling species of freshwater fish need a group of their own species to function normally. This is programmed into their DNA so we call it an inherent requirement. Without others of the species, they will be under stress; this can be handled in two ways, increased aggression or the opposite. Both are the only methods the fish has of dealing with the situation. The green citation in my signature block refers to this aspect.

There are several reasons why the group is important: security, interaction, hierarchy are the main issues. Different species may rely more on one or more of these, but they have that inherent need and without it they will not be in the best condition, or healthy as they could otherwise be. A scientific study a couple years ago documented for the first time that increased aggression was the normal response when there were insufficient numbers of the species.

Turning to the Tiger Barb species, we have a fish that is normally on the feisty/aggressive side. Excessive aggressive behaviour can be curtailed with more I the group, at least 10. This can only occur in a 30 gallon aquarium, minimum. And with no other fish species. Larger groups in larger tanks can have other species included, provided they are well thought out. Not every fish species will manage with any other, both ways.

We don't know how long these two barbs have been subjected to this frankly cruel behaviour,. but that is not your fault, it was done and now you must move forward as best you can. It might be inadvisable to put these two in a larger tank with more of their species; we cannot forsee the result unless we do it. Monitor their behaviour, give them the best care you can, and hope things work out for better not worse.

Thank you! Everyone keeps telling me "they are just fish" but I feel like I chose to take responsibility of the well being of a life and I want to make sure they are satisfied with their life. Before I knew anything about the species I was told there was a Beta in the tank (which we learned must have died when I arrived to pick up the tank) and my very first google search said these were not compatible fish, I'm assuming the Tiger Barbs nipped at the fins so much and possibly killed the Beta. However, the two Tiger Barbs do not seem aggressive towards each other even though one is clearly smaller, but I will be watching nonetheless. I appreciate all of the information!

Plus, as far as I've seen, the pet store keeps them in smaller tanks and large groups which is what I'm trying to avoid.

This is a very different situation. Most fish in store tanks are in anything but acceptable surroundings. Which is why they are stressed, often lacking colour, and more prone to ich. Stores do not intend keeping the fish in those tanks, they expect to sell them, so it is a temporary situation. Considering what the fish have experienced getting from the wild or the hatchery to the store, this tank is the least of their worries. Once you get them home, however, they are yours for life, and that means providing the best and most reasonably accurate environment so they can bee healthy and interact as nature intended.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back