This Thing They Call "vacation"

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

My pet-sitter came over last night to introduce her dog to my dogs. They got along great, so I don't expect any problems between them while we're gone and the pet-sitter/house-sitter is staying at our place. I was happy to see that she brought along a notepad and took notes about caring for the dogs, cat, and fish. B) Now I just have to wait for vacation...3 more long weeks.

My pet-sitter came over last night to introduce her dog to my dogs. They got along great, so I don't expect any problems between them while we're gone and the pet-sitter/house-sitter is staying at our place. I was happy to see that she brought along a notepad and took notes about caring for the dogs, cat, and fish. B) Now I just have to wait for vacation...3 more long weeks.
That's awesome of her! My neighbor watched Harlie for us, well, he checked on her daily and fed her. He said he brought his boxer over and they became friends. I saw this with my own eyes because he brought her with him when he came to return our key, she was all over the house :look:
He also said that my dog got out three times because he didn't fully latch the gate :X But, being the good girl that she is, she sat on the front porch and waited. I sensed an episode like this so I left a bowl of water out there too. Just in case.

I kinda thought the betta albi's were goners, there were only two, but I saw them last night! They seem to have grown. And I'm still amazed by my kribs.

Good luck vacationers! (and sukie!)

I went to seattle for 1 night.. anyways i found a weird pet store so i had to go in... they had all sorts of dyed fish and weird flowerhorns and stuff... a really weird asian shop.. they had 100s of bettas, most 1/2 dead.. so i decided to buy one, not knowing i would have nowhere to put it the next day..

so i bought it saturday, we had to be out of the hotel sunday at 12.. we were going to a baseball game there at 1.. so i asked the hotel people if theyd let me leave it there so it wouldnt be stuck in the car baking... he said ok... then when i went back to pick it up, nobody could find it... the girl said she threw a bunch of stuff out and she started freaking.. turns out someone else moved it so it wouldnt be thrown away.. a little stressful moment, but my little white betta is still alive!

Bumping to note that I pulled 3 more freshly spit albi's today :wub: There's a fourth but he got away from me. This is a grand total of seven sharing the quarters of a 1 gallon KK. I really gotta do some rearranging and get them in a bigger grow out, but right now they're tiny. And cuuuute!

aww, congrats, wuvmybetta! What do those fish look like?

I couldn't really think of any horror stories about vacation and fish until i came home sunday evening.

I went camping this past weekend, and i told my mother specifically how to feed my fish. (only 5 bettas) i showed her, she acknowledged that she knew what to do.

Sunday I came home to food poured into the filter (in the top spongey part where the water goes through), and the floors of the tank literally covered in food, and instead of 5 bettas, i had 5 little blowfish-looking bettas.

they were so full from eating, that they wouldn't even eat the food on the bottom of the tank. So, needless to say, after cleaning out all 5 tanks, filters (which i will have to replace) and boilding all the gravel and plants, by 10:30 that night, i was finally in bed to go to work the next day.

Now, i am kicking myself, for not just leaving them without food for the weekend. I told my mother to only feed them once on saturday night. Big mistake.

I know for next time, to just leave them.

yeah, sorry =(, they're most certainly better off by themselves sometimes. I have a fishy friend and I wouldn't even trust her with my kids :lol:

Here's a pic from the IBC site, since I've never taken a beautimous pic of my two pairs yet.

albimarginata8.jpg

I dooo have beebee pics though, I just haven't uploaded them.

ETA~ just pulled the fourth....and a fifth!

kelly since when did you get albis?

and so my fish from synirr arent the only ones that are tiny? the females are bigger then the males its cute they are like babies but not.

I bought them at our last show :nod: I wasn't going to, but they didn't sell, so..I went for it rather than send them back.

I've pulled out three more since last posting, for a total of eight from this clutch and he's still mouthing like crazy so I expect more! The other male has a mouthful now, too. I saw him rubbing up against his girly last night after a water change :hey:

All this time I suspected he was holding like one, because some days it would look like he swallowed, then he'd puff up. I could never tell for sure.

Sukie, I hope this isn't too late, but to make things with moving easier, you can do what my family did, except not with fish :p with a whole studio we had down the basement for my mum's business, what to do, is take possession of the new house before moving out of the old house, give a couple days in between or so, we took a week, but it really helps havign that extra time to move things out and in, rather than doing both the same day.

Just a suggestion, I hope it helps, and I hope you get everything done well for your moving!!

I am on vacation for a week next week, but only from work, not really going anywhere except camping on the weekend of next. But i have to move my office betta home, so i bought him a 2 gallon tank with a lid that has grooves on the bottom to lift him easier. but i have nowhere to put him at home! I will maybe see about getting my boyfriend to take him.

Thanks for the advice!!! I think we might be moving this next week. . . . :S I'm shipping some of the wilds that I don't want to Synirr.

Then I'll be left with bellica, mahachai, and smaras. . . :shifty:

I've got 5 other bettas in their tank. . .

2 cichlid babies

A pair of peacock gobies

A hand full of shrimp. . .

Snails

and the one that worries me the most is that darn 27salt water tank. It's perfect right now!!

I'll keep ya'll posted on how it goes. . . . . .

Wuv - can't wait to see baby pics of the albis!!!

Aww, widdle baby albis, I'm sure they're adorable :wub:
I want more baby albis. I'll have to start putting my male in a breeding net if I want some, the last two times he released he did it during the day when the female was awake and ready to munch them... he needs to release at night, darnit!! He's holding again right now, but it doesn't look like many.

Aww, widdle baby albis, I'm sure they're adorable :wub:
I want more baby albis. I'll have to start putting my male in a breeding net if I want some, the last two times he released he did it during the day when the female was awake and ready to munch them... he needs to release at night, darnit!! He's holding again right now, but it doesn't look like many.
I think that's why I only got three from the first two surprise releases. I noticed last night that the female was hanging out awfully close to the holding male...a little too close -_- So I kept the tank full of live adult brine and kept peeking as often as possible (who am I kidding, I had my face pressed to the glass every thirty minutes) I think I caught them as soon as they were released today. They look kinda dazed and confused, and a little rough when they first come out! Just like humans :p

here's the oldest one..
albibee.jpg

Most reactions

Back