thinking of starting an african tank

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

G_Sharky

Fish Herder
Reaction score
I'm thinking of changing into africans with my current 33 gallon tank. I'm just wonderin if this is big enough to accomodate 2 or 3 species of maybe a malawi lank cichlids like a yellow lab??? I'm supposed to get a bigger tank, but couldn't my parents approval. And what species that's i can get that won't get bigger than 5"???? thanks.....

G_Sharky said:
I'm thinking of changing into africans with my current 33 gallon tank. I'm just wonderin if this is big enough to accomodate 2 or 3 species of maybe a malawi lank cichlids like a yellow lab??? I'm supposed to get a bigger tank, but couldn't my parents approval. And what species that's i can get that won't get bigger than 5"???? thanks.....
33g - I'm assuming that is a 3ft tank. If this is the case, then you can choose 2 species out of the peaceful group:

- Iodotropheus Sprengeraes
- Labidochromis Caeruleus
- Pseudotropheus Saulosi
- Pseudotropheus Acei

You will want to try 1M:3F ratio if you can, and the best way to accomodate them is to buy them as juvunile and correct the ratio as their sex becomes more apparent. Apparently, for Yellow Labs and Acei, male to female ratio is less important. Having plenty of rock really helps keeping them feel comfortable.

There are plenty of species that stays under 5 inches but are too aggressive for 3ft tank...

yeah i'm considering going for the lake tang too.... what's a good and colourfull species could I get??? I'm really a newb when it comes to africans so be patient with me...lol :D

G_Sharky said:
yeah i'm considering going for the lake tang too.... what's a good and colourfull species could I get??? I'm really a newb when it comes to africans so be patient with me...lol :D
Generally, tang species aren't as colorful - they are better known for their variety (or oddness :lol: ) and behaviours.

In that sized tank, you could have rocks on one side, sand as substrates and choose one of the shell dwellers (N Multi, N Similis, N Ocellatus, N Brevis etc) and one of the smaller rock dwellers (J Dickfeldi, J Ornarus, J Transcruptus). Perhaps you can introduce a pair of A Calvus (very slow grower) as well. In this setup though, you are not going to see many surviving fries, but you are going to see more interesting behaving fishes than mbuna tank which is typically a large colorful but mindlessly swimming forver fish tank. :lol:

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back