Thinking about a crayfish

Snailguy101

Moved On
Reaction score
Well im thinking aboutgetting a crayfish I know they kinda need to be alone...Im just wondering what they requireand how big of a tank...

Really depends on what type of crayfish. For native US species, i heard 10 gal minimum, with excelent filtration and oxygen. Waterchanges twice a week.

He's right on on a 10 gallon tank. You really want both filtration and a bubbler, as crayfish do best with extra aeration. You really don't need to do water changes twice a week, I wouldn't do them any more than you would for your fish, especially with just one in the tank.

It depends some on how much you want to spend. My favorites are the Electric Blue Crayfish, but there are some really pretty bright Red ones as well. I have a number in my tanks. You could get 2 crays in a 10 gallon provided you have lots of hiding places they can be safe in when they moult.

Just call your local pet stores and ask. Most carry them, and can order them if they are not in stock. A lot can be bought on the internet as well. The cost is pretty close when you factor in shipping. Blue ones for instance sell for between 18 and 30 at stores. Anywhere from 10 to 30 on the net. Or if you don't mind having a plain one, you can catch one in just about any creek. Many pet stores also sell them as feeder fish or you can get one from a bait shop.

Well do you know any good creeks in lakeville minneasota or close to there? cause you said you were coming down to mn

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back