Thinking About A Bloodparrot

no one blood parrot is not fine in a 33g tank..

if you dont know what youre talking about, hush up..

its ridiculous how many people have no clue what theyre talking about, yet feel the need to post anyways..
I do know what Im talking about. I am also aware of their size. 33 may not be ideal for you or others but one would be fine in a 33 gallon IMO. They are very slow growing once they get a year or so and they dont get that long just wide and tall.
I see we have a difference of opinion hear but please dont stoop so low as to tell me to hush up. You also have no idea how much experience in the hobby I have or any of my backings either. Shouldn't make judgments so fast.

Drew

I can tell from your responses you have no idea what you're talking about.

People like you, that spread bad information, do no good whatsoever for fishkeeping.

I can tell from your responses you have no idea what you're talking about.

People like you, that spread bad information, do no good whatsoever for fishkeeping.
Ok vancouver thats fine if you would like to think that.
You are not mature enough to handle a conversation and make false/snap judgements about people.
There are enough people on here who know who I am and that I know what I am talking about, your opinion means nothing to me and I dont need to prove anything to you. Goodbye,

Drew

I love know-it-alls.

You've obviously never seen a full grown parrot cichlid.

You can call me names until your fingers fall off. It doesn't change the fact that you don't know what you're talking about.

Just curious, how big do parrots geow? I saw one in the canal at the Chinese garden in Singapore that was about a foot long, I think it might have been a king kong though.

Do you want just average blood parrot or undyed jellybean parrots then they are good parrot cichlid for your 30ish gal tank as long as you kept it single (if you wanted jellybean parrot you can have a pair). Average blood parrot can reach 10 inch but its really slow growing so you don't have worry about suddenly upgrade your tank.

Just ignore vancouver. Drew does have right advice for you. Vancouver is talking about huge types of parrot cichlid but then he's very rude and he want make you look an idiot. In reality he's that idiot not you. NO REPLIES VANCOUVER.

Just keep single average blood parrot in your tank and you can upgrade your tank later.

Thank you Butch, I appreciate it :good: Glad to see someone here who understands.
I agree with you very slow growing, and more of a round shape when full grown not so long, 8 inches seems more common.

Drew

Edit for spelling.

Don't really want to stick my neck in here, but seriously -- recommending an 8"/20 cm fish for a 30 US gallon/110 litre tank is insane. That simply isn't good fishkeeping.

Can you do it? Yes, provided you do massive, regular water changes. Is it responsible? No, a fish this size needs a much bigger tank. There's no economy in buying a small tank for a baby fish when you'll need to buy another one a couple of years later, so you may as well start off with the right sized aquarium.

I spend too much of my time writing for fishkeeping magazines and web sites answering questions sent in from people who keep big fish in small tanks. Again and again its the same story -- finrot, fungus, hole-in-the-head disease, slow growth, neurotic behaviour, etc., etc.

If you have a 30 gallon tank, then buy a fish of suitable size for it. If it's cichlids you're after, then the smaller acara, kribs, or shell-dwellers would all make excellent choices. You could keep a group of them, and have the pleasure of seeing their social behaviour and likely getting them to breed as well. Far more rewarding than a single unhappy, sickly blood parrot stuck in a cramped aquarium.

Cheers, Neale

I agree with you very slow growing, and more of a round shape when full grown not so long, 8 inches seems more common.

It's so ridiculous how many people give horrible advice, and nothing gets done about it.

I think moderators should be monitoring stuff like this.

Vancouver, my rival....just lighten up, he/she want to learn about fishhobby, not badmouthing at everyone and make them feel not want to joining this tropical fish forums and not learning anything from you because they are scared of YOU. I like Neale better than you...Neale should he get undyed jellybean cichlid (blood parrot x convict cichlid) instead of blood parrot, will it working out for him with 33gal tank? That's my question.

I'm really the wrong person to ask. These aren't fish I'm terribly familiar with, mostly because I don't really like them.

So what I know about them is second-hand, from experienced aquarium writers I trust. And that is basically this: they are somewhat unpredictable but usually territorial, and can be realistically expected to top 15 cm in captivity and plausibly 20 cm. To me, that's not the ideal fish for a 33 gallon tank. But a single specimen, if provided with excellent filtration (say, a decent external canister filter) and regular water changes (50% weekly, at least) could be expected to live a decent enough sort of life. But if you added two specimens, there's a good chance they'd fight, and on top of that your water quality problems would be doubled.

I still think for a 30 gallon tank you're better off going with a smaller, more sociable cichlid you can enjoy in a fuller, more rewarding sort of way. On their own, cichlids aren't as exciting as they are in groups. Breeding cichlids is always a treat, especially with the harem spawners, where you get to watch a single male buzzing around his group of females. Dwarf mouthbrooders are also a lot of fun. Take a look at Pseudocrenilabrus nicholsi for example: coral reef quality colours, smallish size, and manageable levels of aggression.

Cheers, Neale

Neale should he get undyed jellybean cichlid (blood parrot x convict cichlid) instead of blood parrot, will it working out for him with 33gal tank? That's my question.

Vancouver, why is that sad and I don't see any reason that why you still posting if you still mouthing at us? Just be nice and rethinking before you typing. Just give you tips. So new people can feel welcome in the forums, you are not welcomed if you still keeping it up.

Buffalogal maybe some dwarf cichlid species such as Apistogrammas or what about the dwarf flag cichlid? I think dwarf flag cichlid look so attractive for your tank. Dwarf african species looks so stunning. Check them out in the gallery. Many dwarf species of cichlid are suitable. Jellybean parrots are just small hybrid cichlid with bad attitude but they only reached 4 to 6 inch when fully grown and if you want more than one, I don't recommanded this jellybean parrot just in case.

you yanks have different GALLONS to the UK anyway.
so 33g to you is probably more like 20g to us.
i mean im not an expert on gallons. or maths i got an E. but yeah theres a distinct difference.

ive had about 6 BP's over the years.

the biggest was a MONSTER and tried to attack you through the glass. and ur hand savagely if you put it in.

söm of them never grew above 3". and they werent jellybeans.

stop arguings about stupid thing. this forum is for advices.

personaly i think its fine. put him in 33g. if he gets too big. get a new tank. simple.

Most reactions

Back