Theodoxus Fluviatilis - Freshwater-Breeding Nerite

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

frothhelmet

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Got these from Germany - they grow to about 1cm and are an awesome black and white mosaic colour! This is one of the most beautiful (and useful) freshwater snails. It will absolutely shred any type of 'smearing' algae - like green spot algae (nothing will remove this from your anubias but a nerite) or diatoms - this means you will never have to clean your glass again. They also do not leave egg casings on decor, unlike the brackish nerites which will ruin your hardscape (by contrast theo egg casings completely dissolve after hatching).

It breeds infrequently - only a few times a year - in spring and summer usually - but a few can make dozens of babies - and lives about a year or so. I 100% guarantee it breeds in freshwater and it doesn't take over your tank like other snails.

It does have some particular requirements however - that must be met or it will die - yep I know from experience

1. There must be ample 'smearing' algae in the tank OR your tank must get some direct sunlight - or it will die as there is NO WAY to feed it deliberately.

2. The water should be Ph >7 or the shell will corrode. However I have kept and bred them Ph <7. PM me if you want to discuss how to do this.

3. They can be kept in tropical temperatures - but don't overdo it - they handle intermittent periods of 30C but I killed them in >34C water before. Better to keep them below 27max - except for short periods.

Meet these three requirements and they will breed and breed for you.

Quantity for sale: minimum 6 juvenile snails per order - limited orders available
Reason for Sale: so others can enjoy
Delivery or Collection: Delivery
Sales price: £2 each - 6 snail minimum
Postage & Packaging: £3
Payment Paypal or Bank Xfer. Please PM to arrange transaction.

CIMG8568_zps48069e11.jpg

Last edited:
As in £12 for a minimum six order or £2 for six?

Sorry just noticed your in us, they wouldn't survive trip :(

sawickib said:
2 euro for each so 12 euro for 6

Excuse me, but this is my thread.

It's £2 each snail and I am in located in the UK.

Umm I was just answering his question, my apoligies for trying to help.

Hello!
You still sell these snails?
I would like to buy :)

I know this is an old post, but by any chance do you have any more available?

Lost my old colony when the heater cooked them, and would really like to have them again.

Cheers.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back