The Upgrade

Harry1996

Fish Herder
Reaction score
OK here my list to buy for the upgrade. As i cant afford any thing bigger its going to be a 3 foot by 2 by 2 (300L) with sump. Filled with coral and invertebrates. Not much bigger fish as of the swim space. :sad: I wanted a kole tang but hay ho.

36 X 24 X 24 tank from Nd aquatics
Sump: may buy it from ND or i might build it :good:
Stand: being built by me and my dad. (Hope nothing goes wrong :rolleyes: )
Heater: some kind of decent one.
6 x 39w 90cm light thing from ebay http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/T5-Aquarium-Lighting-Fish-Tank-Lighting-4-x-39w-90cm-/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=310210536929#ht_3561wt_872

NewJet NJ3000 Multi Pump (for the return pump)
Koralia Evolution 4000 Circulation Pump * 2
That's all for now :shout:
Any advice on better equipment will be appreciated :good: Any stock ideas will be apreciated :fun:

Edit: im buy some of the equipment in 2 weeks as i have to buy a new frame for my bike first.

Its a nice size tank, a 4x2x2 wouldn't be much of a price difference if you are only buying the glass. Comparable equipment so no extra there ;)

Thanks Ozzie my dad just said that to me just now :rolleyes: may have to stretch to one that size. My main reason for that 3 instead of 4 or 5 foot was of the electric bill for my dad :rolleyes:

That does make sence mate especially if you can stretch to these new leds :)

http://www.maxspect.com/index.html

About £430 for 3 footer, might sound expensive but over time you will save with electric and bulbs. These are the latest semiled's on the market and out perform everything else such as the kr92's

Personally I am going for a 4x2x2 but I already have twin halides on my current system.

Thanks m8 :good: well that would be the price for a ATI unit which i was going to get over time :good:

I would love to go LED but its very expensive and seeing that i don't pay the electric bill i wont be much money. Other than not replacing the tubes.

Also i may just buy a ATI unit as i might sell my ps3 etc http://www.reefdreams.co.uk/acatalog/ATI-Sunpower-6-x-39w-T5-Pendant.html

However i woldnt mind setting up a nano tank with expensive equipment e.g vortec,LED etc i a few years.

OK i change my mind way to easy :lol: After pricing up and talking to my dad i might be able to have a 4 by by 2 foot tank :hyper: Also i can now get up to £120 a month and last year it was £50-70 :good: So looks like with the extra income it could be possible :rolleyes: Oh yer if you don't know im only 14 :lol:

That light unit looks sweet!!! If I owned where I stay (instead of rent) I'd get one of those for sure!

That light unit looks sweet!!! If I owned where I stay (instead of rent) I'd get one of those for sure!

Yep they are great units but im going to get 4 54W bulbs in this unit thing from ebay :blush:
Then hopefully when i have more money ATI + LED all the way :hyper: I was hoping to get LEDs for my nano for the shimmer but i have decided to save for the upgrade. My first bit of equipment will be the lights. should have the lights to show you lot in a month and maybe the pumps :good: By they way im keeping my skimmer :sad: Or if a good deal is on deltec mce 600 then that my be snapped up :lol:
Any stock suggestions? For a 420L tank :fun:

Go with the ATI unit. MUCH MUCH MUCH better performance. It's probably more expensive, but definitely worth the money. Keep in mind, what you are looking for in a reef tank setting is PAR...doesn't have anything to do with wattage, or reflectivity or anything like that. You want PAR into your tank.

A couple of things for you to consider.

1.) The ATI fixture has active cooling. Meaning fans to cool the bulbs. Yes, the bulbs. It's been found that fluorescent bulbs have a cold spot. The output of the bulb is maximized for the temperature of that spot. In an effort to maximize efficiency and life from the T5 bulbs, that spot must be kept a certain temperature, something that cannot be done with heat syncs alone. It is also imperative that the lamps be inserted so that the fans provide cooling on that spot...for most bulbs, that spot is found on the label end of the bulb. This means, fans blowing on the center of the bulb, probably doing more harm than good.

2.) Reflectors. German aluminum is aluminum period. It's debatable that it is any better than any other aluminum, and in some cases is actually worse. The ATI fixtures actually have the MIRO coating that increases efficiency of their reflectors many percentage points. Far more than a negligible difference.

3.) Good bulbs are just as important as the fixture and the reflectors, and it is important to have the correct ballast matched with the correct bulb. The ATI Blue + bulb, is somewhere in between the 420 and 460 nm wavelength (i.e. blue/actinic) but puts out more PAR (including at depth) than many offbrand 6500K or even 10000K lamps. (Edit: Most actinic lamps...put ZERO PAR into the tank. They are for LOOK ONLY)

4.) LEDs. These are all the rage and everyone wants them because of the touted electricity savings and the savings from the cost of bulb replacement etc. etc. etc. MOST, not all, but MOST of all of that is hype. Salesmen trying to sell their stuff. We have a local reefclub guy that had money growing on a tree out back that went and upgraded from 6x54 T5 bulbs to LED for his mixed reef 90 gallon...he went with the 3 Watt LEDs. I've seen the tank before and after. Honestly, color difference is negligible in my opinion (with the exception of the "shimmer"). Heat difference, honestly pretty negligible as well since he didn't/doesn't have either one in a canopy where heat is an issue anyway. Lighting bill difference....NADA....yep, ZIP, for going on 3 months now. Maybe a few bucks up and down, but that could be the lights were left on in a bedroom or something. No bulb replacement for 15, 20, 30, years...whatever they are currently spouting. While that may be true, how long with the supporting electronics last? Frankly, none of these fixtures have been around enough to even know how long they will last or how much color shift there will be or PAR loss there will be over time. And how many times to you have to change the T5 bulbs to make up the difference in cash outlay up front? All valid questions in my opinion.

One final note on LEDs. There is starting to be some hobbyists and even some publications that are questioning the ability of LEDs to support SPS and LPS in the long term. Personally I think it's too early to tell what's right and what's wrong, but it's certainly worth a consideration, but I am hearing of hobbyists that switched to LEDs that are going back to the Metal Halides and T5s. Not in huge numbers, but enough that I've taken note.

In short the T5 vs MH vs LED debate could go on and on and on, and I'm sure it will for the forseeable future.

Just wanted to give you some things to think about.

By the way. I can't take credit for all of the information on T5 lighting. There is a gentleman on another well known forum that has spent the last 10 years (he was injured in an automobile accident) researching, testing, taking PAR readings, different fixtures, different bulbs, etc. etc. Unbelievable wealth of knowledge and arguably the T5 expert on the other forum.

If you would like some further reading, please send me a PM and I can send you some links. I've found it VERY useful in my research for my lighting upgrade that will be happening in the next few weeks.

OK still thinking of a 40 by 30 by 24 inch set up. (30inch wide) After looking at morri set up i like the extra width. :good: Just sent an email to ND aquatics to see what the cost is. I want opti white glass for the front panel, so im guessing it will be around the same price a 4 foot.

Good news im not getting a new frame but im getting a new phone on contract and my dad is paying although i buy the phone i still have extra money :good:

Ok got the email and i think i might get that tank size but annoyingly i need to upgrade quick as the extension is starting in any time now or even in 2 months :crazy:
the 3 foot by 2 by 2 may be brought :look:

Ok got the email and i think i might get that tank size but annoyingly i need to upgrade quick as the extension is starting in any time now or even in 2 months :crazy:
the 3 foot by 2 by 2 may be brought :look:

Woo hoo, let the fun begin

Seffie x

Most reactions

Back