The Upgrade Has Landed!

Stampos

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hi all :hi: to my upgrade thread.

After starting out on the salty side back in February, I have decided that a nano is not enough for me - so I've gone bigger, much bigger :good:

There are a number of reasons for this, mainly due to the increased system stability a large tank gives along with more options for fish and more space for corals. I also seemed to run out of room fairly quickly in my nano, and as I plan to keep aggressive LPS corals felt a larger tank would allow me to keep more, at a distance.

I also wanted a sump as they offer a larger volume of water, hold unsightly equipment and also acts as a refugium for pod life as I plan to keep some Mandarin dragonets which need a constant supply of these for food.

I originally wanted a 48x24x24 tank as I was told this was the longest tank I could have in the front room, I ended up with 60x18x24 in the end however :yahoo:

The tank is due to be delivered tomorrow, it is a Godiva Executive in Aida Walnut:

IMG_3447.jpg

IMG_3445.jpg

The weir houses twin standpipes, which will allow hopefully near silent operation. I just have to wait a week for the sump to arrive as the original was damaged.

I managed to save some money by buying a pre-built Godiva, so I had a little spending spree :hyper:

Just about managed to get it all home :lol:

IMAG0148.jpg

I got a 22kg bucket of coral pro salt

DSC06963.jpg

A 4 stage RO filter

DSC06960.jpg

Make that a 5 stage :D

DSC06975.jpg

And got these acrylic bars to sit my lighting on, as I don't want to hang them

DSC06964.jpg

(Excuse the nosey mutt!)

My lighting unit is a 4x54w T5 pendant, originally used for hydroponics - just need to change the bulbs to make it reef friendly

DSC06965.jpg

DSC06966.jpg

DSC06967.jpg

Tried it out

DSC06968.jpg

I also have a TMC V2 600 bio reactor which I may use to run a phosphate remover if needed

DSC06976.jpg

With all of this and also the 150w halide I had planned on using when I had another upgrade in mind, my room looks like a LFS :lol:

DSC06977.jpg

And finally, to show some of the great LPS corals my LFS gets in

IMAG0150.jpg

Really excited, I have to work when the guys arrive to deliver the tank tomorrow so I imagine it'll be a long day of waiting, and then a night of plumbing.

Simon

Love the tank :drool: how much did that set you back? if you don't mind me asking that is?

Following this one all the way mate! cant wait to see it up and running :hyper:

No worries Chris, I plan to do what Steffie did and document the costs so as to give anyone venturing into marines an idea of what setting up can run to.

The tank apparently was built for another customer and shipped on a pallet whereby the cabinet suffered some very minor damage. I'm talking a slight lift of the trim which can be glued down and some tiny chips inside the cabinet as the sump was smashed as well.

These normally retail at £835 but I managed to get it for £535 - lady luck is smiling down on me :)

You got a bargain there mate! how long until your hoping to be up and running? I currently have a 225 litre tank and after watching your journey with this tank i might purchase one myself :good:

Looks good very nice looking tank and a bargain :)

Cheers!

Got home from work today and found this:

DSC06988.jpg

:good:

Not plumbing it until the weekend so just tested the light for size and took a couple of pics;

DSC06989.jpg

DSC06995.jpg

Simon

It'll be fine :lol:

When I got home today I started on the plumbing, solvent welded the pipe fittings onto the bulkheads and then siliconed them in place - wet test tomorrow afternoon :unsure:

DSC06999.jpg

DSC07000.jpg

Wet tested today and no drips so all good :D

Started on the main plumbing as well by building the return pipe and also fitted the weir comb

DSC07002.jpg

The standpipes I will leave as a dry fit so that I can empty the weir if needed in future, just waiting for my sump now so that I can start filling.

Simon

Been advised my sump is due the end of next week.

Good job as the old dear now wants a new floor laid so me and my brother are doing it next weekend. After that it will be fill time :good:

Ordered some more goodies to keep me entertained, some ball valves for the RO unit and a pressure monitor (not sure about what type of TDS meter to get yet) and also ordered a clip on light fitting so I can run a 6500k energy saving bulb over the chaeto in the sump :)

Got some sand too! 3x4kg bags of TMC coral sand - I've had this previously but put TMC gravel in my nano and confused the two so wasn't sure it was what I wanted, I now know!

Also managed to return the halide I had bought for some store credit, meaning I've enough for two large LPS colonies once I'm ready for them.

Simon

Thanks Seffie :)

Received the RO bits and the sump light today, so now just waiting to fit the floor at the weekend. Also, I believe my sump is due to arrive on Friday :hyper: so I'll be able to finish the plumbing on Saturday. Hopefully the big fill will beging Sunday evening.

Going to go for 20kg of LR to add to my existing 15kg, a little low for the tank size but I want an open scape for a tang or two (plus this will increase with coral additions) :good:

Simon

No sump yet, and no floor!

Sump is due to be with me on Thursday and the floor is going down next weekend (weather permitting) so hopefully I'll be able to begin the fill around then.

Get paid soon so a few more goodies will be ordered, a couple of 14k tubes and a couple of blues as really like the white/blue look :) also going to get 2x 5000lph powerheads for now until funds recover enough to get a vortech mp40 :D

And then its just a case of getting the lr in.

Most reactions

Back