The TFF General Aviation Thread (those things with wings)

This is one of my cats.
B0EB8B22-EC37-4882-B3BC-3B280227EF2A.jpeg

The mighty BUFF is returning to the UK

Currently tracking one at the moment. I am thinking this is going to be a deployment incase things go pearshaped in Ukraine

Nice to see the old girls back in UK airspace. One of my favourite "old school" aircraft along with the A10 Warthog and F4 Phantom

RIP Mriya

What or who is Mriya you might ask.

She was, quite literally, the Dream

Antonov 225, the largest aircraft in the world, built initially to carry the Soviet Union's space shuttle but after that programme halted she was put into commercial service around the world. She is the only flying version of this stunning aircraft...or was.

Her most recent flights were done throughout the pandemic, she flew thousands of missions delivering medical supplies across the world including the US, UK, Africa, Australia, NZ and Europe. Wherever she went she was welcomed by crowds of people.

She was beautiful.

Sadly she has been destroyed in the Ukraine whilst undergoing routine maintenance that made it impossible for her to escape. Currently there is no word of her dedicated flight or ground crew.

You might think it strange to mourn an aircraft but Mriya was special, she managed to amaze the world and was warmly welcomed by millions of people who went to see her. She was a one-off marvel of aviation history. There is a second fuselage stored away but there is no news of its survival during the raids that destroyed the only flying and commercially working Mriya

:(

As if there was not enough upset in the world..

Within the last hour, a fully loaded Boeing 737-800 (not a MAX) has gone down in the mountainous region of Guangxi, China. There were 133 on board, unlikely to be any survivors. The tracking has shown that it plunged from 31000ft to the mountains in under 2 minutes.

Whether a friend or foe of China really makes no difference, those on board were fellow humans, they have families and friends who are now devastated.

RIP to those lost.

Strength and prayers to those who are making their way to the mountain and to the families and friends of those left behind.

😢

Last edited by a moderator:
China Eastern have turned their normally highly colourful website and social media black and white

Their Boeing 737 fleet has now been grounded pending the investigation of today's tragedy. Unknown at this time if all 737's across all Chinese operators have been grounded.

A special area has been set up for families of those lost in the arrivals area at Guangzhou International Airport where the plane had been heading.

So here in the UK we have the warmest weather for a few decades.....and its Fairford weekend (I forgot again)

Apart from Farnborough and the airshows that used to be staged by the USAF bases in the UK, Fairford is the best of the best for watching some incredible flying machines

If you subscribe to Planes.TV you can watch the entire display either live or recorded.

I do wonder if the high temperatures will cause issues though since hot weather doesn't suit a few of the aircraft too well. Should be a good show, first one since the pandemic.

A terrible tragedy happened in Dallas today...absolutely heartbreaking

An absolute tragedy

Getting caught in the blindspot is something that all pilots hope never to be, but it is so easy to happen. My sympathies and condolences go to the families left behind and hopes of full recoveries to those hurt

The display circuit has lost some highly respected pilots and crews, doing what they love to do

"To the world these were just airmen....to their families, they were their world"

RIP.

Accidents at airshows get so much more coverage than a scheduled airline flight or military flight accident purely due to the fact that when things do go wrong, its usually infront of hundreds or thousands of people

Reading up on various sites such as PPRUNE about the Redbird (Dallas) crash........I find it quite incredible that some are commenting that the P63 was flown intentionally into the B17.

I'm not saying that it is impossible that the P63 pilot intentionally flew his aircraft in that manner. But I do find it highly unlikely.

There does, however, seem to have been issues immediately prior to the collision that will need careful investigation. Airshows tend not to have ATC (air traffic control), rather a ground to air advisory or "Air Boss" system where one individual who is qualified does a full briefing with all pilots before the display and then acts as communication with the aircraft during the display

There appears to have been a significant amount of air to ground and air to air discussion, some 20 minutes or so, prior to the collision. That is very unusual and tends to indicate potential display format confusion.....a bit like an actor forgetting his or her lines and needing to be prompted.

Watching the variety of footage taken from several angles, there certainly appears to be substantial spacial awareness and blindspot issues with the P63 pilot.

People will doubtless ask how someone flying a small plane manages to lose sight of a ruddy great big plane.....it is extremely easy given the canopy framing, the closing speed and things such as sun glare etc

I still receive reports from the NTSB aviation division and it will be interesting to read their ultimate findings. I suspect it will be accredited to spacial awareness/spacial disorientation on the part of the P63's pilot. The crew of the B17 will likely be exonerated of all and any blame.

One thing that I do question though in regard to the B17. Why so many on board. Five person crew is more than is permitted here in the UK. I have flown as crew in both B17 and B25 in the UK and mainland Europe on display flights and we had a max of three in the aircraft. So I do have to wonder who exactly was on board and what their designation was...afterall both aircraft involved were Houston based, so no need for extended flying hours crew on the B17.

Undoubtably everything will come out in the prelinary and ultimate reports 6 months to 3 years time.

A very sad loss to loved ones, friends and especially with it being Remembrance weekend, a poignant reminder of how fragile life can be when flying warbirds.

Accidents at airshows get so much more coverage than a scheduled airline flight or military flight accident purely due to the fact that when things do go wrong, its usually infront of hundreds or thousands of people

Reading up on various sites such as PPRUNE about the Redbird (Dallas) crash........I find it quite incredible that some are commenting that the P63 was flown intentionally into the B17.

I'm not saying that it is impossible that the P63 pilot intentionally flew his aircraft in that manner. But I do find it highly unlikely.

There does, however, seem to have been issues immediately prior to the collision that will need careful investigation. Airshows tend not to have ATC (air traffic control), rather a ground to air advisory or "Air Boss" system where one individual who is qualified does a full briefing with all pilots before the display and then acts as communication with the aircraft during the display

There appears to have been a significant amount of air to ground and air to air discussion, some 20 minutes or so, prior to the collision. That is very unusual and tends to indicate potential display format confusion.....a bit like an actor forgetting his or her lines and needing to be prompted.

Watching the variety of footage taken from several angles, there certainly appears to be substantial spacial awareness and blindspot issues with the P63 pilot.

People will doubtless ask how someone flying a small plane manages to lose sight of a ruddy great big plane.....it is extremely easy given the canopy framing, the closing speed and things such as sun glare etc

I still receive reports from the NTSB aviation division and it will be interesting to read their ultimate findings. I suspect it will be accredited to spacial awareness/spacial disorientation on the part of the P63's pilot. The crew of the B17 will likely be exonerated of all and any blame.

One thing that I do question though in regard to the B17. Why so many on board. Five person crew is more than is permitted here in the UK. I have flown as crew in both B17 and B25 in the UK and mainland Europe on display flights and we had a max of three in the aircraft. So I do have to wonder who exactly was on board and what their designation was...afterall both aircraft involved were Houston based, so no need for extended flying hours crew on the B17.

Undoubtably everything will come out in the prelinary and ultimate reports 6 months to 3 years time.

A very sad loss to loved ones, friends and especially with it being Remembrance weekend, a poignant reminder of how fragile life can be when flying warbirds.
Thanks for your input, very useful information.

As far as the amount of people onboard the B17, I can tell you, when I've attended airshows here (near Beaumont), and a B17 was part of the squadron that participated, rides were offered aboard the B17 to the public, for a fee...unsure if that were the case here, and also unsure if those rides were offered during the actual airshow, or before/after the event.

At any rate, a heartbreaking situation, no doubt...she was one of only about a dozen B17s that are still operational..and the loss of life at any airshow is disheartening, to say the least

Thanks for your input, very useful information.

As far as the amount of people onboard the B17, I can tell you, when I've attended airshows here (near Beaumont), and a B17 was part of the squadron that participated, rides were offered aboard the B17 to the public, for a fee...unsure if that were the case here, and also unsure if those rides were offered during the actual airshow, or before/after the event.

At any rate, a heartbreaking situation, no doubt...she was one of only about a dozen B17s that are still operational..and the loss of life at any airshow is disheartening, to say the least
It has been confirmed within the display circle that no fare paying or free riding pax were on board the B17 at the time. The five were all connected to Texas Raiders display team, as was the pilot of the P63. When I say "connected" they may have been family of the pilots if not actual ground crew members from the display team.

The pilots of both aircraft are...or were...former American Airlines pilots with several thousand flying hours. However, that being said, there is still a questionmark over display hours/experience, which will obviously be one of many things that the FAA and NTSB will be looking into.

I know from experience that pax are not usually permitted during the display but can be carried for the proverbial "circuit & bump" flights...ie...just taken for a short flight around the locality and back to the field they left from. Insurance and FAA rules (as all aviation authorities) forbade pax during display flights following past fatal accidents.

These warbirds are not easy to fly, they are very basic and in order to fly nowadays require substantial upgrades to instrumentation and communication systems.

The B25 that I was involved with is now a wreck....they are extremely difficult to restore and keep flying

The B17 is still going strong, she is a fixture on the airshow circuit and has been for a very long time now

These warbirds are precious, they allow younger generations to see first hand what those who went through the wars had to deal with every day.....they need to be kept flying. After this weekend's tragedy there will doubtless be calls for displays to be banned. That is wrong imho. These warbirds must be allowed to fly, they are keeping the memories of those who died alive....along with those who died in display flying....these people need to be remembered and there is nothing better than the sound of those engines and the smell of the leather and oil to keep their memory alive.

I worked at the local airport for 12 years. If I see one more flat white A-300 I'm going to scream and tear my hair out. Same goes for 757's and A-320's. Is dirty flat white the only color they can paint them ?

It has been confirmed within the display circle that no fare paying or free riding pax were on board the B17 at the time. The five were all connected to Texas Raiders display team, as was the pilot of the P63. When I say "connected" they may have been family of the pilots if not actual ground crew members from the display team.

The pilots of both aircraft are...or were...former American Airlines pilots with several thousand flying hours. However, that being said, there is still a questionmark over display hours/experience, which will obviously be one of many things that the FAA and NTSB will be looking into.

I know from experience that pax are not usually permitted during the display but can be carried for the proverbial "circuit & bump" flights...ie...just taken for a short flight around the locality and back to the field they left from. Insurance and FAA rules (as all aviation authorities) forbade pax during display flights following past fatal accidents.

These warbirds are not easy to fly, they are very basic and in order to fly nowadays require substantial upgrades to instrumentation and communication systems.

The B25 that I was involved with is now a wreck....they are extremely difficult to restore and keep flying

The B17 is still going strong, she is a fixture on the airshow circuit and has been for a very long time now

These warbirds are precious, they allow younger generations to see first hand what those who went through the wars had to deal with every day.....they need to be kept flying. After this weekend's tragedy there will doubtless be calls for displays to be banned. That is wrong imho. These warbirds must be allowed to fly, they are keeping the memories of those who died alive....along with those who died in display flying....these people need to be remembered and there is nothing better than the sound of those engines and the smell of the leather and oil to keep their memory alive.
Do keep us informed, please...and I agree, these aircraft were part of The Greatest Generation...they should never be forgotten, and continue to be shared

Most reactions

Back