The perpetual fin rot question (sorry)

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

Loboto-Me

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I ran out of "bettafix" (some of you know that my boy has had finrot from almost the first week I got him this winter). I've been treating him off and on since I've had him without much success.

I bought MelaFix this time around, but I remember reading somewhere that MelaFix might not be a good idea for Labrynth fish? Am I right? or was that another product? I read the ingredients and they are the same as the Bettafix (Melaleuca) possible a stronger concentration???

Should I use it or not? What do you think?

Also, did anyone copy and paste the wonderful "emergency" fin rot treatment that someone posted here? The one that you had to take out the fish from the water, and paint something on it's tail??? I'm thinking if this dose of treatment doesn't work... I'll try it. Although, my boy is as healthy as can be! He's had this problem for months and months and is still completely himself.

Thanks

Hi Loboto-Me :)

Finrot is a bacterial infection caused by either the Columnaris or the Aeromonas bacteria. It's common for a fish to begin with a Columnaris infection and develop a secondary infection of Aeromonas. This is frequently the problem when the finrot is persistent. If both infections are not cured, the disease keeps the fish in a constantly weakened condition which leaves it open to reinfection and the possibility of contracting other diseases.

These bacteria take hold when a fish is exposed to any of the following conditions: High nitrites, overcrowding, uneaten food in the tank, low oxygen content in the water. rapid increase in water temperature, infrequent or insufficient water changes. Given the horrible conditions bettas have to undergo during shipping and at the lfs, it's easy to see why so many become ill when they are first brought home.

You must treat the fish for both forms of bacterial infection at the same time to be sure you have treated the right one. I recommend using the antibiotic Kanamycin which is sold as Kanacyn by Aquatronics or KanaPlex by Seachem. Alternately, you could use Maracyn AND Maracyn2 at the same time. Follow the instructions on the package and do not stop treatment until the full course has been completed, even if the fish has shown improvement before then.

To inhibit the growth of the bacteria, which will aid the healing, be sure that the temperature of the tank is no higher than 75 degrees and add an airstone to increase oxygen content in the water.

In the future, remember that prevention is easier than curing finrot and be sure that your fish has plenty of clean and fresh water and a consistent water temperature at all times. :nod:

Most reactions

Back