The Hybrids Have Hatched!

There is little scientific data concerning Mbuna hybrids in Lake Malawi but general observations from hobbyists and people like Ad Konings seem to indicate that it is extremely rare in their natural habitat - A little surprising considering how easily it occurs in aquaria.

yeah thats what I reckon, weird, nevermind lol. cool post though ferris.

well in the wild they dont have to breed with a different fish.they just have to swim around and find anither of its own kind.

yeah but if you had say 6 yellow labs and 6 red zebras in a tank, do you reckon they will still interbreed?

yeah but if you had say 6 yellow labs and 6 red zebras in a tank, do you reckon they will still interbreed?

Still possible but unlikely if there are males and females present of the same species. Hybrids tend to occur when there are only different genders from different species present in the tank.

Yeah a fish main porpuse in life is to mate. The reason it will happen in a tank is because they will spend so long trying once they mature, to find a mate of their own species withoput success that they will just turn to anotherspecies (which will probably also be one of a kind in that tank). The difference here is in the wild a fish which cant find another one of its own kind to breed will be few an far between, then of course they have to find another different species of fish without a mate, which makes it even more unlikely where as in the tanks it is a lot more common. I'm no marine Bioligist (yet) but it seems a reasonable assumption.

very interesting thread this. It has inspired me to finally set my 90gal up for African. Hopefully will be started tomorrow.

Yeah a fish main porpuse in life is to mate. The reason it will happen in a tank is because they will spend so long trying once they mature, to find a mate of their own species withoput success that they will just turn to anotherspecies (which will probably also be one of a kind in that tank). The difference here is in the wild a fish which cant find another one of its own kind to breed will be few an far between, then of course they have to find another different species of fish without a mate, which makes it even more unlikely where as in the tanks it is a lot more common. I'm no marine Bioligist (yet) but it seems a reasonable assumption.

very interesting thread this. It has inspired me to finally set my 90gal up for African. Hopefully will be started tomorrow.

Thats what i like to hear - keep us posted on the progress. :D

Will do. I am really excited about this as it is what I have been looking to do for a gool while. I was devastated when I first learned my 40gal wasnt really big enough. I deffo wont be changing my mind once i set this up. I have posted another thread for some opinions and a small discussion hopefully Ferris u can help me out with it, types of fish etc.. I should be looking at for this size tank.

enything hapening with these fry or did i miss something

enything hapening with these fry or did i miss something

They are still going strong and have grown quite a bit - i'll try and get some pics in the next couple of days. :good:

Please get pics!!!!!!!!!!!! They almost looked a little like yellow labs, so this will be interesting.

Please get pics!!!!!!!!!!!! They almost looked a little like yellow labs, so this will be interesting.

They do still look like baby labs, which makes no sense considering their parents. :lol:

Most reactions

Back