The Benefits Of Java Moss In A Bettas Tank ?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

furryrabbit

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Well I've ordered some off Ebay for Gabriels Tank , and was just wondering are there any benefits of having it in my tank ? I don't have much lighting - but I'm sure theres enough CO2 ( the filter is perfect for male bettas - creates no water movement at all , just releases tiny bubbles every few seconds )

I bought it mainly for aesthetic reasons though , does it grow fast?

It's just like any plant really, will use ammonia, nitrite, nitrate.

Not a fast grower.

No real benefits from it in small amounts.

:huh: Will I have to tie it down with something or can I just plop it in there - there's little surface agitation . Does it Float?

Doesn't really float, so yes, tie it to something or let it find somewhere to clump.

A decent sized clump is great for lowering ammonia, nitrite and nitrate levels in an uncycled tank. Java moss is a very efficient user of ammonia.

Well fast the grower, the more ammoina etc. it needs in general and java moss doesn't grow very fast.

Hm, if java moss isn't very ammonia-consuming in small amounts, can you recommend a plant that is? I am looking for maybe a tall plant (11"?) that will be beneficial for my fish. :)

Also, it makes a nice betta-chair. I think one of the interesting things I've seen my betta do, is sit on a single strand of java moss. It didn't look like it was possible, but he done gone and did it.

I've noted with my Java moss that when I had it in a free ball, it didn't really grow much, but after I'd tied pieces of it down with fishing line to some Plastic mesh that it grew a bit quicker. The other thing you could get besides Java Moss are those plant bulbs... they come in packets of 2 or three at walmart, and usually at least one of the two/three will grow into some sort of Lily. Small lily's that my betta's love to swim around and play in. ^_^

...in general and java moss doesn't grow very fast.
That's news to me!! I have some in my albimarginata tank that is going nuts. Like Sanadi said, if you tie it to something it grows much faster. It isn't necessarily that a plant that grows faster consumes more ammonia, it's that a plant provided with more ammonia grows faster ;). Ammonia is a natural fertilizer.

I have mine tied under very bright light, with CO2 and it just about grows at a decent rate.

Not always the case, stem plants will grow faster and use up more ammonia than java moss, pratically what ever the conditions.

Also too much ammonia will just kill the plant.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back