Thai Micro Crab

I am so excited to say I just saw one of the Thai Micro Crabs, probably the only one left in the tank. I was rearranging a small driftwood pile and there was one micro crab holding on below. I’ve only seen it twice in the past 8 months. I thought they were all gone and it would be safe for me to remove the heater in this mostly shrimp tank now, but I’ll keep the heater in for as long as the micro crab survives. I will say it looks a little larger than when I last saw it. So I’ve had this guy for about 15 months now. I have not done anything special to keep this crab alive. I have not fed it anything special, it survives on the light feeding I give this little 5.5g neocaridina tank. Wow, it made my day.

Attachments

• IMG_0737.jpeg
    IMG_0737.jpeg
    57.5 KB · Views: 8
I am so excited to say I just saw one of the Thai Micro Crabs, probably the only one left in the tank. I was rearranging a small driftwood pile and there was one micro crab holding on below. I’ve only seen it twice in the past 8 months. I thought they were all gone and it would be safe for me to remove the heater in this mostly shrimp tank now, but I’ll keep the heater in for as long as the micro crab survives. I will say it looks a little larger than when I last saw it. So I’ve had this guy for about 15 months now. I have not done anything special to keep this crab alive. I have not fed it anything special, it survives on the light feeding I give this little 5.5g neocaridina tank. Wow, it made my day.
That is so cool !

I do think this is the last crab in the tank. I’m considering getting him another batch of friends now. It must have been quite young when I acquired him about 16 months ago. It must be near the end of its life as I was told they only live a couple of years. This crab survived the shrimp aquarium with the scuds. Now that I’ve almost rid the tank of scuds, they’re still in there I’m sure, but I am always collecting them. Right now I’ve got a cup with 74 scuds (yes, I’m counting as I pull them out). I wouldn’t be surprised that the scuds were snacking on the molted crabs too. I believe the crabs have a better chance of survival and an opportunity to thrive now that the scuds are being eliminated.

Attachments

• IMG_1997.jpeg
    IMG_1997.jpeg
    418.8 KB · Views: 3

Most reactions

Back