Tetraodon Nigroviridis Setup

I am told (though never done this) that you can put regular houseplants in a mudskipper tank. What you need to do is isolate their pots from the brackish water, which shouldn't be too difficult with a bit of clever DIY. Those air plants would also work nicely because they could be glued (with silicone) to whatever you wanted, and positioned well above the water line.

If you were really smart you might pick out plants like Cyperus spp. ("aquatic palm" in the trade) that naturally on the edges of brackish marshes so you'd get the right look.

Cheers, Neale

Thanks for that Neale, I've also been looking for some non-aquatic plants suitable for my Mudskipper tank, other than Mangroves.

Nice tank mark7616, looks great.

Mike

its 40g there are 2x Tetradon Nigrovirdis in there at the moment but there about 1/2"

Can i ask what tank it is?

It looks like my Rio 125, same stand design the lot, id rather like a 40 Gall with the same design/footprint.

It is a rio 125 but if you put the dimensions of any juewl tank on an aquarium calculator which you would do with a normal tank they come up more and the juewl comes up as 38g.

Unfortunately you are not even close. At best the rio 125 is 27.5g but I am afraid it is a lot less then that. Bit small for one puffer let alone two.

Unfortunately you are not even close. At best the rio 125 is 27.5g but I am afraid it is a lot less then that.

UK gallons that is. About 33 US gallons. IME Juwel tanks tend to have rather less volume than they claim, not more. Though I have to say I have not got any experience of the Rio 125. But I certainly wasn't able to fit 240 ltrs of water into my Rio 240.

well my rio 180 once i removed the filter box holds just under 210ltr which is 55usg and I have measured it. It does not matter who makes the tanks its the dimensions that give you the volumes if you went out and bought a plain glass tank or had one made you would still work out the volume that way.

So a rio 180 which is 101x50x41 holds 207.05ltrs of water 54.7usg and I have tested it. This means my rio 125 which is 81x50x36 holds 145.8ltrs of water or 38.52usg.

Now if you didnt know it was a juewl and all I posted was the dimensions you would of said exactly what I have just written that is just shy of 40g but as you have it in your head its a juewl it must be less.

Nice looking tank - but your water will turn very yellow when you start going brackish, as mine did - still got the wood in but am changing the layout etc. slowly. I will eventually take the wood out, not that keen on the yellowish tinge, although I know some people like it.

Neale, thanks for the plant book info. I have ordered mine and checked at the same time to see if your book was on its way - and yes, it was sent yesterday :drool: can't wait

well my rio 180 once i removed the filter box holds just under 210ltr which is 55usg and I have measured it. It does not matter who makes the tanks its the dimensions that give you the volumes if you went out and bought a plain glass tank or had one made you would still work out the volume that way.

So a rio 180 which is 101x50x41 holds 207.05ltrs of water 54.7usg and I have tested it. This means my rio 125 which is 81x50x36 holds 145.8ltrs of water or 38.52usg.

Now if you didnt know it was a juewl and all I posted was the dimensions you would of said exactly what I have just written that is just shy of 40g but as you have it in your head its a juewl it must be less.

Your measurements seem to be on the slightly on the generous side and probably measure the external dimensions of the tank and not the inside. Jewel tanks aslo have a max waterline which is somewhat sort of the water reaching the top. They also, I believe have a floating bottom so measurement externally to the bottom is inaccurate. That along with filter and decor displacement will greatly reduce your calculations. As I said a tad small for one puffer but definately too small long term for two puffers.

incidently measuring a rio 125 I got 102.97l which 22.65G

check the internal measurements l x d x h = 78cm x 33 x 40

Most reactions

Back