TETRA

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

If you also have a spare airstone and small heater or warm room, move the tetra into the betta bowl. Neon tetra disease is highly contagious if the fish dies and is eaten by the other fish - they'll all be sick in no time so you MUST isolate (seperate) the sick fish from the apparently healthy ones.
A bent spine and faded color is also a symptom of fish tb. The same applies to it though - you'll have to isolate and there's nothing you can do. However, fish tb is contagious - as in humans can get it - so if you have open wounds on your hands or scratches or whatever, don't put your hands in the tank water - or wear gloves! If you see any sign of swelling go to a doctor immediately and tell them you have a fish tank and your fish may have been infected by tb. Don't worry too much though - people rarely catch it and it isn't deadly - just incredibly unpleasant.
Also, how large is the tank, what other fish are in there, is it cycled and what are your water parameters?
In actual fact, you should euthanise the sick fish so it doesn't suffer and the disease has no chance of spreading... Clove oil in a seperate, prefferably aerated, bowl is my preffered and most humane method.

Ah! You beat me to it - scaless fish as in corydoras catfish, plecos, otos etc.

sylvia said:
If you also have a spare airstone and small heater or warm room, move the tetra into the betta bowl. Neon tetra disease is highly contagious if the fish dies and is eaten by the other fish - they'll all be sick in no time so you MUST isolate (seperate) the sick fish from the apparently healthy ones.
A bent spine and faded color is also a symptom of fish tb. The same applies to it though - you'll have to isolate and there's nothing you can do. However, fish tb is contagious - as in humans can get it - so if you have open wounds on your hands or scratches or whatever, don't put your hands in the tank water - or wear gloves! If you see any sign of swelling go to a doctor immediately and tell them you have a fish tank and your fish may have been infected by tb. Don't worry too much though - people rarely catch it and it isn't deadly - just incredibly unpleasant.
Also, how large is the tank, what other fish are in there, is it cycled and what are your water parameters?
In actual fact, you should euthanise the sick fish so it doesn't suffer and the disease has no chance of spreading... Clove oil in a seperate, prefferably aerated, bowl is my preffered and most humane method.
I have no spare stuff. My other fish (neon) who died from a parasite and constipation died and they didn't touch him.
I could never kill my own fish! :blink: I don't know what clove oil is... :/

sylvia said:
Ah! You beat me to it - scaless fish as in corydoras catfish, plecos, otos etc.
oooooo

And my tank is like.95 of a gallon close to that and All i have had are neon tetras. and there are two in there right now and I raised the water temperature just a little so that they wouldn't be so cool isnce it's like kinda cool and i do half water changes.

And just exactly what way does the spine bend?

The spine bends because the desease deforms the spine,you could add an anti internal bacteria medicine to make sure it isn't false neon tetra desease, but if the spine is slight altered I doubt that it will be false NTD,you can buy clove oil from the chemist and you can add vodka to it.

ehh.. what is false ntd? and does the back go like... up, down, to one side? and how do i reach a chemist? and where do i get anti internal bacteria medicine? lol and... well i've never killed a fish before... :S

False NTD (neon tetra disease) is a disease that shows similar symptoms to regular NTD but is not caused by the same thing and is possible to cure. Most likely though, your fish doesn't have this as a bent spine (in any direction) is a sign of ordinary NTD or fish TB. You get anti-INTERNAL bacteria medicine (for fish) at your local fish store or a pet store.
I can't realy answer where you can reach a chemist ...? They're everywhere... dunno...what do you mean?
As for killing fish - if you don't euthanise the fish it'll just suffer until it dies and will spread disease. I hate doing it myself but it's for the good of the fish. If you can ask someone to get you some clove oil all you need to do is put the fish in a bowl of tank water and start to slowly add clove oil. Gently mix it in every now and then and your fish will just drift off into sleep and then die peacefuly. Just keep adding clove oil for a little longer and then leave the fish in the bowl for a few hours to make sure its dead.

Michelle12 said:
how old are you FAF?
12 :p

Why can't you just put it in a whole thing of clove oil? This whole thing is just... shocking. He's lost almost all his red now but no bent spine.-_-

And I have another question. Why do fish's bodies ALWAYS bend to the side when they die and they are on the bottom? It's disgusting!

You don't pour in all the clove oil because you want the fish to go to sleep and die peacefuly - not shock it to death! It only takes a tiny bit to kill them anyway.
You realy need to take him out immediately... Can your parents help you out? Can they get some clove oil for you? The fish is just suffering for no reason.
As for why they bend to the side - they don't... If you see the dead fish quickly enough it's usualy facing upwards with it's tail down in a vertical position. Except catfish which just flop to the side. But none actualy 'bend' unless they were sick with something that caused a deformity or if they were eaten... :( I hate thinking about it - most of the fish I've ever seen dead have died of old age and that's worse for you because you've known them for so long. Though obviously thinking that way is selfish cause the fish deserve to live out their whole lives - anyway, I'm verging on a rant so nevermind.

here are some pics

Attachments

• sikfish.JPG
    sikfish.JPG
    24.7 KB · Views: 70
Yes it does, if the fish hasn't got a bent spine try anti internal bacteria med.

Most reactions

Back