test kits

Airli

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I have a new tank (2 months) and the only test kit i have so far is pH.

i plan on taking a water sample in to the fish shop but i want to get all the necessary equipment myself eventually. So if i start getting the kits one at a time which one should i get next? nitrite?

These -

http://www.aquariumpharm.com/aqtest.html

Most here seem to recommend the "master test kit". My LFS didn't have that, so I bought pH, Ammonia (Salicylate), Nitrate and Nitrite.

You want to make sure you get the Salicylate Ammonia test so it ignores AmQuel/etc treated ammonia.

And keep a log as you test - I didn't for the first couple weeks and really wish I had.

discovering toxins in the water before it kills or damages fish is obviously most important, so Ammonia and Nitrite tests are most important. PH is really the only important one otherwise, just to make sure it is stable, and KH is a good idea if the PH is not stable. GH doesn't matter.

I just go with the master kit. As you may find you'll start to love the hobby and end up wanting all the kits so buy the master kit and save money instead of buying them all.

I use only nitrite and nitrate strips just to keep an eye on the nitrate so I know when a partial water change is needed. When I get up to 40-50mg/L nitrate I do a 30-40% change. I work in a lab so I can check my pH on a mettler/orion pH meter. I have been thinking about getting the kh test though :/

I just test ammonia and nitrite weekly to make sure I didn't have a crash as I don't have nitrate problems. My tank has been cycled for about a month now and I have't had any water problems. Oh yah I recommend getting the Aquarim Pharmecuticals Master kit with PH, Ammonia, Nitrite and nitrate it's the best for the price in my opinion. You can get it on the internet cheaper for about $12-16, I would only suggest ordering it on the internet if you have other stuff to buy but it can still be cheaper.. $12 and then $7.95 shipping which is less than $20 so you would save about 5-8 dollars... Have fun. :)

I was going to get a master kit but I ended up getting them all at different times.... I got nitrite 1st as it was cheapest, then ammonia cos it was....2nd cheapest and I haven't got nitrate yet becasue a) its expensive and B) I only have a small tank running at the mo and I will do water changes every week anyhow.

For best water quality, you need to test weekly or more. You should test for, Ammonia (most lethal), Nitrite (next most lethal), Nitrate (generally ok for fish in small ammounts <40ppm) PH (Keep it stable, if your initial test is too low or too high for your fish, don't worry, just keep it stable. Swings in PH cause more problems than the correct PH).

A Master test kit is what you need, they usually include test equipment for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and ph. If your PH becomes a pain to keep stable, then you will need kh and gh test kits too.

Jon

Most reactions

Back