Terrapins As Neighbours?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

AquaPit

Fishaholic
Reaction score
I have this thought of creating an aquarium with Terrapins and Freshwater fishes!

The idea is to build an aquarium with its top half the residence of the terrapins while the bottom half the fishes.

What do you guys think? Are terrapins suitable partners for fishes? If so, any suggestions how to set up?

Well that wont work... if they have access to each other... the terrapins would eat the fish! Without access to each other... on would die from lack of oxygen...  

I couldn't comment on fish and terrapins but look up paludariums for information on this kind of idea.  

Most African cichlids that are large will most likely survive with them. But the aquarium would have to be large and have lots of hiding places for the fish. I've seen Africans fight off any thing, including turtles from their nests!

Tks Blobfish on the Paludariums!

Tks for the info Malex530! But I am doing a 60cmx30x30/ 47L(arnd 10imp. gal/12 us gal) tank

I will just have to take a carefully thought-out layout to prevent the terrapins to have access to the fishes
MBOU said:
Well that wont work... if they have access to each other... the terrapins would eat the fish! Without access to each other... on would die from lack of oxygen...
Lack of oxygen?? Maybe if I see the terrapins eat my fishes you mean? Lol

4 inch turtles/terrapins does well with 5-6+ inch group of snakeheads, medium-sized notopterus sp., hammerhead catfishes, gars and the like.

I observed that medium to large sized fish that can breathe atmospheric air usually goes along well with turtles. They tolerate an increase in ammonia/nitrates in the water due to increased wastes since they actively move to gulp air than normal fishes that rest or swim slowly at night, which then becomes a target for the turtle to eat.

I have a friend who keeps two 6-inch caucasian terrapins with the above said fishes in an outdoor pond for over 8 years now without anyone dying. Adequate swimming spaces, lots of basking spots for the turtle and frequent feeding for the turtle is highly crucial.

Tongue_Flicker said:
4 inch turtles/terrapins does well with 5-6+ inch group of snakeheads, medium-sized notopterus sp., hammerhead catfishes, gars and the like.
I observed that medium to large sized fish that can breathe atmospheric air usually goes along well with turtles. They tolerate an increase in ammonia/nitrates in the water due to increased wastes since they actively move to gulp air than normal fishes that rest or swim slowly at night, which then becomes a target for the turtle to eat.
I have a friend who keeps two 6-inch caucasian terrapins with the above said fishes in an outdoor pond for over 8 years now without anyone dying. Adequate swimming spaces, lots of basking spots for the turtle and frequent feeding for the turtle is highly crucial.
This is a wonderful info! Tks! My belief in keeping such community has soared!
Anyway, I intend to squeeze in a pump filter/airstone to oxygenate the water. I have not done a research yet on terrapins but can they swim underwater as well?

If you come close or startle them they'll dive straight into the water. Most terrapins will only eat underwater as well. They'll need some platform to dry-off as well. How do you plan to do that? They'll be needing UV light as well which means algae can go out of hand

Tongue_Flicker said:
If you come close or startle them they'll dive straight into the water. Most terrapins will only eat underwater as well. They'll need some platform to dry-off as well. How do you plan to do that? They'll be needing UV light as well which means algae can go out of hand
Tongue_Flicker said:
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_NcIpqiTWRA

Here is a Youtube link to the kind of tank i am trying to emulate. The terrapins will actually be separated from the main water area. Based on the video, the terrapins will be on the left of the tank.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back