Temple Plant Suddenly Losing All Its Leaves

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Kombat

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I have 3 Temple plants, I believe they are Hygrophila corymbosa. I have had these for over a year. They have thrived in .6 WPG and in 2.3 WPG with low CO2. Suddenly they are losing their leaves. The thick stems are almost bare. The only thing that has changed is about 2 months ago I changed out my BIO Wheel filter for a cannister to eliminate surface agitation. The result of this was a reduction in pH and increase in C02, which was my goal. I fertilize regularly with a Fe and K fert, and Flourish and Flourish Excel.

Thanks,
Karl

With increased CO2 plants will grow quicker and also use up nutrients quicker. From the sounds of it you may be low in Nitrogen (from nitrates). With slower growth your fish probably produced enough but now it is being used up faster than it is being produced.

James

Even before the C02 boost my nitrates were reading 0 on the color chart, so it's possible. Would that cause a plant to lose it's leaves? I didn't mention this before, but my other plants are doing fine, at least for now. Also, increased CO2 hasn't helped the algae issue at all so adding the macronutrients probably is needed nonetheless.

Karl

Yes low nitrate will cause leaves top die and drop off. Increasing CO2 whilst not increasing other nutrients will often make algae worse. Take a look at the Estimative Index sticky above for more info on what nutrients are needed.

James

Maybe just semantics, but they aren't dying and dropping off, just dropping off. The leaves floating on the water look green and healthy. They just aren't attached to anything. :)

I've read the EI stuff before. Probably time to start trying it out. :)

Thanks,
Karl

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back