Tap Water Perameters Question

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Coolysd

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hello my fish peeps! Hope y'all are having a smooth weekend 😎

So I just tested my tap water using the API test kit and the results are Nitrite 0, Nitrate 0. PH 8.2, Ammonia 2.0

The Ammonia in my 75gal non-planted tank which houses 3 Dojo Loaches and 9 Neon Tetras, has been consistently reading for the last week or so at Ammonia 0 - .25 (it's never been completely yellow as there's always a hint of green) Nitrite 0, Nitrate 5, PH 7.0
I have used the Ammonia calculator and my NH3 has never been more than .0013. I have also used ammonia testing strips and they have consistently read 0.

I've done 50% wc almost every day for the last week and yesterday I also vacuumed the gravel. About a week ago I rinsed my filters in old tank water and also added the Fluval Ammonia Remover bag to both of my HOBs.

I also just read an article about how the readings for the API kit can be easily misread depending on what kind of lighting your in.

My question, is the high level of ammonia in the tap water affecting the ammonia perameter in the tank? Is there anything that I can/should be doing differently? Am I misreading the results? I get so frustrated at times but I refuse to give up!

Thanks in advance for reading and replying!!😁

Test Update: Ammonia .25, Nitrate .25, Nitrate 5, PH 6.8, NH3 .0008

Last edited:
First on the tap water. Ammonia can be present. Nitrite can be present, though much less common. And nitrate unfortunately is present for many aquarists especially in agricultural areas. I would first contact the water authority (start with their website, water data is often posted) and confirm the numbers of your tests for these three forms of nitrogen, just to be certain as to the levels.

Second, if the pH remains below 7, i.e., on the acidic side, ammonia is primarily ammonium which is basically harmless. I would still want to get to the cause/issue, but at least it is less of an issue.

Third, live plants will help by assimilating ammonia/ammonium, and the fast-growers of which floating plants are ideal do this very rapidly.

The ammonia-removal products I have never used, as I didn't need too as my tanks always have floating plants, but other members may have experience with these products.

Do you drink the tap water?
What sort of water system is it at your property?
Can you explain why the tap and tank water have different pH readings?

I only drink bottled water cyz the tap water taste nasty to me. I live in an apartment complex and from what I've read it is imported thru treatment facilities. As for the PH difference, I have no idea.

The updated test results were from my aquarium.

Do you drink the tap water?
What sort of water system is it at your property?
Can you explain why the tap and tank water have different pH readings?
From advice from someone on this site I don't trust initial PH tests on tap water. Put tap water in a bucket and test. Let the bucket of water set for a day and test again. You may be surprised at how much difference there may be in test results. The test results on the water that has set for a day (24 hours) will likely be the more accurate.

From advice from someone on this site I don't trust initial PH tests on tap water. Put tap water in a bucket and test. Let the bucket of water set for a day and test again. You may be surprised at how much difference there may be in test results. The test results on the water that has set for a day (24 hours) will likely be the more accurate.
Thank you! I will definitely try that!

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back