Tankmates For Nicaragua?

joeyh51

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
So I've set up my vision 260 again, and went to wharf at the weekend. Wasn't overly impressed with the stocking they had in there at the time, but managed to get a nicaragua (which I've always wanted) and a couple of pictus cats.

Any ideas what else I could add to that stocking? Love the idea of an ellioti, or a really nice geo but I'm not sure what will go with the nicaragua. She's still quite small, but colouring up really nicely, can't wait to get more in the tank.... I need to get a plec!!

Nice! :) One of my favorite fish - how big are the ones in Wharf now? Any pics of yours?

They are very bolshy and not all play nice, they are persistent so make sure things are going well and be prepared to rehome as needed. In return though they are very responsive to owners and great to watch. Their colours are incredible :)

For tank mates I had mine with Sevs, Geos and a Threadfin Acara - but they are all different and in hindsight if she was the first in I would do it differently - Sevs not a problem and in your tank something like a Rotkiel would work but not Golds or Greens. Any of the Firemouth types like Ellioti would be good as would things like Sajicas and Cutteri - just be careful they dont start breeding.

If you want Geos go for G.Iporagensis :) And keep them as a group - few Geos do well as singletons.

Wills

One other thing - they will always start fights they cant finish so be ready for the need to separate if things kick off. Mine got in a fight with a Severum and she got over powered and thats how I lost her :(

Wills

Nice! :) One of my favorite fish - how big are the ones in Wharf now? Any pics of yours?

They are very bolshy and not all play nice, they are persistent so make sure things are going well and be prepared to rehome as needed. In return though they are very responsive to owners and great to watch. Their colours are incredible :)

For tank mates I had mine with Sevs, Geos and a Threadfin Acara - but they are all different and in hindsight if she was the first in I would do it differently - Sevs not a problem and in your tank something like a Rotkiel would work but not Golds or Greens. Any of the Firemouth types like Ellioti would be good as would things like Sajicas and Cutteri - just be careful they dont start breeding.

If you want Geos go for G.Iporagensis :) And keep them as a group - few Geos do well as singletons.

Wills

One other thing - they will always start fights they cant finish so be ready for the need to separate if things kick off. Mine got in a fight with a Severum and she got over powered and thats how I lost her :(

Wills
The ones in Wharf range from about 3-5 inches at the moment I'd say... I knicked the best looking one out of the bunch though, really nice yellow body at the moment with a very predominant black stripe down the side, can see the blue starting to come out too.
I'm away at the moment but I'll try to get some pics when I get back, plus I want to know if it's male/female, but heard that its the females that have the nice colours?

As for what else to add, they had some threadfin acara at wharf when I went but didn't want to get carried away and get too many at once :lol: Plus I really want to hold out for an Ellioti, I love these fish, are they best kept singular or in a pair/group?

What about for the top of the tank.... dither fish?

again going to agree with wills here, other medium sized cichlids including acaras, geophagus, severums etc etc. i had a female and she was pretty bostrious but never went all the way to attack and actually damaging fish.

Wills has a mixteco gold that was also from wharf. That would work.

Dithers depend on what you like really.

Spanner barbs are awesome when adult. Arulias barbs, tiger barbs, golden barbs, black ruby barbs, the smaller spotted silver dollars, buenos aires tetras, congo tetras, columbian red fin tetras...

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back