Tank WILL NOT complete cycle

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Sometimes I wonder if people are reading the cyking info on this site. For the most part, the fishless cycling article here is fool proof when followed to the letter. And then I keep coming across threads where people seem not to have done the reading.

So here is your problem. The nitrifying bacteria that colonize tanks longer term, and which we want to do so during the cycle, reproduce by dividing. They do this whent there is more ammonia or nitrite than they need. The one thing they do not do is to form spore. Read what is in the bottle of Stability and then tell me why this is what anybody would use to cycle a tank? SeaChen knows better, but they "must" compete on all products, This is not limited to them. They almost all do it.

Next, the bacteria that handle nitrite (and apparently can process ammonia right to nitrate) as well as the means to test for them and to use them to cyce are patented. So only two companys can sell them. Other products will not contain Nitrospira. So if you want to jumpt start a cycle use one of three things: Dr. Tim's One and Only or Tetra's SafeStar+. The patent is shared by these two outfits.

Next, water changes and dechlors which contain something to detoxify ammonia will slow a cycle. The bacferia want NH3 (ammonia) but the detoxifiers convert it the NH4 (ammonium). The bacteria can use this but much less efficiently. The ideal situation in a fishless cycle is to use a dechlor that does not detoxify ammonia.

Finally, the max amount of ammonia or nitrite one should ever have without it stalling a cycle are follows:
Ammonia: if your test kit use the nitrogen scale, 5 ppm; if is uses the total ion scale, 6.25ppm.
Nitrite: if your test kit use the nitrogen scale, 5 ppm; if is uses the total ion scale, 16.4tppm. Most total ion tests dio not read this high, so you will have to do diluted testing.

Neither of the above stall points can happen in a tank which follow the fishless cycling article here to the letter. You should not chnage it, you should not think you can do better another way, you should just foloowing your test results and when the readings are as suggested, act.

Finally when you say "feeding" the tank, what does that mean- steak and potato, dead fish, a piece of shrimp, ammonia?????? The thing that controls the cycle is ammonia- so, how much one adds and when are the main determinants of how fast or slow any cycle might progress or if it will stall.
Hey I appreciate the reply, but what I will say is, sometimes these sites are bombarded with thread after thread after thread of info, that sometimes never really fits our specific situation….if you are lucky enough to know how to look for what you. So instead of assuming we just chose not to Read something, perhaps a link to the article you suggest is the appropriate one or offer info.

Being codescending or frustrated doesn’t help. It’s why people don’t reach out for help and end up struggling more.

Jay- the forum on which this thread resides has two stickies at the top of it. They are very close to where you wrote the title of this post.

1661990999194.png

If you open that thread at the very top is the link to the cycling article.

I have been helping filks cycle their tanks since before I wrote the articles. I have been doing this on several forums for a long time. Sometimes it get a bit old doing the over and over and sometimes i guess I get a bit short. If I put you off I apologize, it was not my intent.

Both the fishless cycling article and the Ask Questions About Cycling Forum were made available on the site on the same day :)

I am happy to help you or not as you choose.

Did the massive change but was afraid to add fish. Don’t want to lose any.
I would be 99% confident you won't lose any,not due to parameters at least.
Feed lightly and do weekly 30% water changes.They will be fine👍

I know that sometimes I am dumb, but how does anybody think that a tank is going to do anything without some organic matter, like live plants? What do you think a bucket of water sitting in your wash house is going to do? I think it will sit there being a bucket of water. If you want your tank to develop bacteria then, give it something to work with.

I know that sometimes I am dumb, but how does anybody think that a tank is going to do anything without some organic matter, like live plants? What do you think a bucket of water sitting in your wash house is going to do? I think it will sit there being a bucket of water. If you want your tank to develop bacteria then, give it something to work with.
The bacteria is essentially omnipresent anyway and will multiply given the right conditions. The cycle can be sped up by seeding with additional bacteria but without seeding it will still eventually develop.

I would be 99% confident you won't lose any,not due to parameters at least.
Feed lightly and do weekly 30% water changes.They will be fine👍
I just added Fishless fuel and turbo start700 to see if I can force it to finish its cycle. I definitely can’t add fish now. Hahaha

I did. Hence the ammonia being at 1.0. But I just added some Fishless fuel and turbo start. See if that makes anything happen. Ha.

I did. Hence the ammonia being at 1.0. But I just added some Fishless fuel and turbo start. See if that makes anything happen. Ha.

And it’s not a dumb thing, what I don’t get it is why people automatically become mean with their comments? If nothing nice to say, move on. That’s it.

You'll get it. The fish will be fine. Do you have to go to Cornerbrook for fish?

I just added Fishless fuel and turbo start700 to see if I can force it to finish its cycle. I definitely can’t add fish now. Hahaha
The more chemicals you add to a tank, cycled or not, the more you complicate matters.

New to the forum and might be in the same spot. Quick run down. 20 gal for my 7 yr old. Filled with tap water remove chlorine. after about 1.5 water got really cloudy then cleared about 18 hours later. After 5 days asked LFS for advice and they said should be ok. Added 10 tetras. 5 neons and 5 glowlights. fastforward 4 days and all are dead. I have API test kit. PH 7.2, Ammonia maybe .25 or just over. Nitrites and Nitrate 0.

LFS has a return policy on the fish. Spoke with their "expert" His suggestion was to add Stability Seachem and test for Ammonia and Nitrite. looking for a spike in both and then dropping to 0.0. From what I have read at this point I should see Nitrates going up. My understanding is that there needs to be some source of ammonia.

Can someone please help or point to previous post? Just seems so frustrating. As a kid 35 yrs ago, I had a few 10 gal tanks. Never an issue. Filled treated, waited a few days then started adding a few fish and all was fine. Thanks for any help

Jay- the forum on which this thread resides has two stickies at the top of it. They are very close to where you wrote the title of this post.

View attachment 165905
If you open that thread at the very top is the link to the cycling article.

I have been helping filks cycle their tanks since before I wrote the articles. I have been doing this on several forums for a long time. Sometimes it get a bit old doing the over and over and sometimes i guess I get a bit short. If I put you off I apologize, it was not my intent.

Both the fishless cycling article and the Ask Questions About Cycling Forum were made available on the site on the same day :)

I am happy to help you or not as you choose.
Im happy enough to accept as much help as possible, and after reading the pinned posts, i feel no better off. It talks about adding second and third doses of ammonia source, once they start to reduce, however mine is yet to reduce.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back