Tank up and running but bother with bog wood

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Country joe

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi every one, my tank is up and running, live plants in, and rocks, but I couldn't stop my bogwood from floating, pushed it down to touching bottom glass of tank but still floated, I saw various ideas on line, one was silicone the wood to slate, which seems okay does anyone know of the make of silicone that would be okay to use. The other which I'm trying is steeping the bogwood in hot water for a week, have it in a plastic bucket with boiling water from the kettle, don't know how long it will keep hot for. Does this method work?

Personally I don't like the idea of gluing the wood down. Let it soak in your tank or in a bucket and it'll sink in a couple days if not sooner. Gives you more options for placing the wood wherever you want instead of being glued down. It's also invaluable when cleaning to be able to grab just the wood and pull it out vs dragging slate and everything else that's on top of it. The only time I see an advantage to gluing wood is if youre trying to get it to stand upright like an underwater tree for a specific look to your scape.

Hi every one, my tank is up and running, live plants in, and rocks, but I couldn't stop my bogwood from floating, pushed it down to touching bottom glass of tank but still floated, I saw various ideas on line, one was silicone the wood to slate, which seems okay does anyone know of the make of silicone that would be okay to use. The other which I'm trying is steeping the bogwood in hot water for a week, have it in a plastic bucket with boiling water from the kettle, don't know how long it will keep hot for. Does this method work?
Hello. Some commercial tank decorations do float. I've used rocks from my garden to help weigh the piece down. I like the natural look the rocks give the tank.

I whittled a hole in the wood that roughly matched a rocks shape then glued the rock into the crevice.

One more thing, if you have plecos and even other fish they will sometimes be lodged onto the bottom of the wood. When you pull it out of the tank they don't always let go and you may not notice. I've had this happen with caves and wood so be careful when taking your tank decor out when you're cleaning or taking it out for good. Also another reason why I won't glue wood to anything

Used two pieces of slate, managed to get a plastic tye to hold the slate buried it into the gravel and it looks good, thanks for all the helpful comments its a great site for beginners, even though some of my questions may sound a bit daft.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back