Tank Slime/film, Algae?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

greenmumma141

Fish Herder
Reaction score
Hey guys, my tank has been up and going for about a month now (started with cycled filter) and I havent had a single bit of algae, but I noticed that my tank looks cloudy, so looking closer I could see that the inside of the glass has a slime on the front and sides too. It's more noticable infront of the filter outputs. If it's some sort of algae that's okay, I was waiting to get a couple bn's anyway. But im worried it's not algae and something bad lol.  It doesn't appear to be green, more white I would say, and I can easily smear it off with my finger. Looking really really close, you can see little dots in it as well. Here is my tank info:

60 Gallon heavy planted
(2) aquaclear 70 hob filters
playsand substrate
water stats are all great, 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, 7.9 ph
i dose 2 ml a day with seachem flourish

any help or input is very much appreciated :)

just wipe it off with a sponge....quit worrying so much, its fine and normal

alright alright 
tongue2.gif

well that doesnt sound good, Ill get a pic, hopefully i can get one up close without it blurry... I wiped a big area of it, and it is actually of a brownish color. I've recently added peat moss to both of my filters, could that be what's going on? pics to follow...

I couldnt get a good shot of what it looks like, this is the only pic where you can slightly see what's going on. I wiped a spot clean to show the slight cloudiness of the glass. I circled the area on photobucket, but the doodling isnt showing up in the pic, not sure why. you can't really see it, but there's a slight line in the middle of the barbs.

DSCN4749_zpsd3b370ed.jpg

here's what the sponge looks like after a small area was cleaned.
DSCN4750_zps6d83c864.jpg

and my trash bag background looks much better in person lol the flash is very harsh. The color to my water is from the peat in the filters, it's not bc i have dirty water
smile.png

blah. those pics don't show anything! It's slimy and brown. Im assuming it has something to do with the peat bc its thickest where the output water hits the glass. i wish i had better camera skills. 
evilmad.gif

Hmmm could just be Diatoms starting as you recently planted it you might have a little melt causing minor ammonia.

just checked my ammonia and it is high, 0.25 ppm.. water change! will the diatoms die off on their own or do I have to get rid of them?

I'd clean them off, your filter will eventually deal with the ammonia.

okay, will do. are diatoms brown? during my water change I cleaned a big portion of it and it is indeed very brown and gross
sick.gif
. Would a bn eat this stuff?

Definitely diatoms. Normal for new setups and will go away on its own in time. Just manually remove it with a sponge or toothbrush as needed.

BNs and otos love the stuff if you've got the space.

I do have the space, and Ive actually been dying to get a bn or two but my tank was so squeaky clean, i wanted to wait. Looks like Ill be heading to the lfs tomorrow if my spike is better (after two water changes its back down to 0 ppm) ill check again in the mornin :) Thanks for all the help guys.

Mikey1 said:
just wipe it off with a sponge....quit worrying so much, its fine and normal

see, i wasn't being a ninny, i have diatoms 
cool.png

The bn plecos will clean you right up. I have found that they love my brown algae but wont touch the green?? Interesting to me!! Good luck!! :)

BTW baby BNs will plow through the diatoms faster than the adults ones - doesn't make sense but it's true!!

i will def. be getting a baby bn :) i was thinking maybe two, but Im not sure. Ill start with one and see how that goes. is 2 too many for a 4 ft tank?

Depends on your other stock but no, in regards to floor space you've got loads of room for two :)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back