Tank size for a Green Spotted Puffer...

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

I will definately have to research that fish, but I wonder about cost. :/

It would be cool and with as you stated "Double Armor" and 6" maybe the puffer won't eat him. :-?

If you're dead set on community tanking a puffer in a 45G tank, then why don't you try a Colomesus asellus, aka brazillian puffer, south american puffer? At least these are said to be "peaceful" and I believe someone on the forum, even has one in a community tank. They're freshwater, btw.

If you're still in love only with GSPs, Traditionally, mollies ( I don't recommend it, I've seen dead mollies in puffer tanks, but they're brackish) and gobies are suggested tank mates for GSP. Also, figure eights are very like GSPs, only supposedly slightly less aggressive, but note, these were the ones I've seen with a chewed up mollie. Mainly, as long as you have a back-up plan for if the fish don't get along, afterall, and you're vigilant in observing the tank, I suppose you can try known combinations. I realize this doesn't give you any kind of clean-up crew, but good filtration, proper water changes, not overfeeding should and other general good maintenance habits should take care of that and you have to do so with or without a clean-up crew anyways. Most likely, when fully mature, your puffer won't be a good tank mate.

This is still a debate rolling around in my head. :/

I saw two at one Aquarium store and just felt really sorry for them. :(

They were both in the same 10G tank and both had there fins pretty well nipped off.

They tried to tell me first that they could go in any community tank (I know better) and then tried to tell me that they were just "fin nippers" and wouldn't eat the other fish (I know better). :(

I'm thinking of setting up the 45G or the 30G Long for one. If they could go in the 30G Long that would be really cool.

I am willing to go with just one fish, but I would rather 2 or 3 in the tank. :/ I didn't say "community". Community to me is 5, 6, etc.. I would just like more than 1 fish in the tank.

The 30 Gallon for one puffer doesn't seem as bad as the 45 Gallon. If I hadn't gotten a good deal on all the new tanks, I wouldn't even have this many tanks.

But, now I'm trying to figure out when and how I can get a 200+ gallon for the living room. ;) (I saw acryllic ones for less than $800 not including shipping.)

Most reactions

Back