Tank size for a Green Spotted Puffer...

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

enchanted

Fish Herder
Reaction score
Is a 45L a good tank size for a Green Spotted Puffer?

From what I have read they are primarily a Freshwater Puffer that also can live in Brackish, but prefers freshwater (I did A LOT of research. :D).

I'm getting ready to setup my 45L and I was thinking it would be cool to have a puffer. ;).

A 45 L tank would not be suitable for a GSP. They require larger tanks, I'm not sure of the specifics, but an adult GSP (which it will inevittably become, if you treat it well) cannot survive properly in a 10 gallon, or 45 litre, aquarium.

Also, they are not freshwater. They are primarily brackish-water, and most dedicated puffer-keepers on this site try to slowly increase the SG in their water until, by adulthood, the puffer is in a full marine environment.

Just out of curiosity, where did you research? There are many references on the web that are in conflict with one another, so I'm just curious as to where that false information is to be found.

If you're hellebent on a puffer, you could get 2 dwarf puffers into a 45 litre tank, and they are freshwater, so that's nice. There are a number of people on the forum with DPs, including myself, so any questions you've got could be answered.

Good luck with puffers!

45 Litres works out to 12 Gallons, a green spotted puffer would need At Least 20 gallons (75L), preferable 30 Gallons (115L) on his own.

In a 45L I'd say you can fit 2 puffers. Completely freshwater, small staying. I used to have 3 in my 60L, however the 2 males did NOT get along At All. I'd say, try to get them a bit older so you can clearly see their sex (males got a black line on their stomach and got wrinkles behind their eyes, females dont). Try to get a female and a male.

Feeding requirements would be bloodworms, live or frozen. Snails from time to time to keep their teeth growth down. You'll need a lot of hiding places as well :)

--Edit--
Blah, I'm being slow today it seems ... Tor was first ;)

I should have stated that better 45G Long US GAllons. :/

Sorry

The information came from LiveAquaria and Auquariumfish first, then about 3 other places and my LFS (whom I sorta trust, but not fully) said it originally about them being primarily freshwater but also are fine in Brackish.

All the sites I looked at (some did say brackish primarily but I found more sources saying primarily fresh) showed a variety of puffers with there water types, fresh or brackish, etc... what they are primarily, what they can survive in...

LOL!!! Fair enough! And then to think I actually checked your signature before I answered :p

Umm, yes ... I'd think it would be alright then ;) Not a 100% sure though, so I'm hoping other people will respond to this as well.

Btw ... I'd say go for a brackish setup as well if you're gonna go for the gp.

Alright, I have searched more and more and found that I am royally confused.

But, if a 45G Long is good, then I will start setting it up and figure out the implications, etc... as I pick out how to outfit it.... :/

I could still use input on tank size. I'm done doing further researching (and trying to decipher brackish/freshwater) until I figure this out.

If a Green Spotted can go fully marine that would be really cool, because I originally wanted this tank to a reef tank.

But I can't resist those puffers.......... :D

First off, not meaning to be mean, but LiveAquaria and AquariumFish are not accurate. I have sent them an e-mail stating some problems, but I seem to have been ignored.

GSP sounds good. My advice is to go brackish. Check out some other sites as well, because although those ones are well rated, they are not totally accurate.

If I go GSP I will do it as most sites state they do it natuarally. That is to start them freshwater then ease them to brackish. :) That way I could also adapt any tank mates I may put in there (such as pleco... ).

I've read about a lot of fish being able to go brackish along with quite a few plants if they are slowly and gradually eased into it.

ddreams said:
If I go GSP I will do it as most sites state they do it natuarally. That is to start them freshwater then ease them to brackish. :) That way I could also adapt any tank mates I may put in there (such as pleco... ).

I've read about a lot of fish being able to go brackish along with quite a few plants if they are slowly and gradually eased into it.
I don't intend to be mean in any way, but your research is not up to par what-so-ever.

Green Spotted Puffers need to have at least a 10-15 gallon at juvenilles, and within months they need to be put into a 30 gallon. They are not very good tankmates, and considering there is no brackish or saltwater algea eater, a pleco is a big :no: .

First, I'm speaking of a 45G which should be plenty big.. Second, not all plecos just eat Algae. Actually, most are Omnivores and many will eat vegies, etc...

I've also noticed other people here keeping Pleco's with them. And I have read in literally almost I found that Armored Catfish are about the only thing that could be a tank mate for a GSP. :/

I have read of certain species of Pleco's being adapted to Brackish without problems. I haven't found salt though.

It depends on the species... :/ I've been researching it and I'm not done yet. From what I have found there are a few that can go brackish, but I have yet to read of one that can go full Marine. But I don't plan to go full Marine. I have read that a lot of the plants (over 90%) if adapted gradually will go brackish no problem. :)

I haven't fully decide, but I'm also not ready to devote a single 45 or 55G tank to one fish. I want to have at least 2, maybe 3 in a tank that size. :/

That is the research I have been researching Pleco's, cory's, etc... I haven't found a cory that could convert to brackish yet, and I think the puffer would eat them anyways. :/

Yep cories are a big no when it comes to salt.

there is a true armoured catfish that may beable to be converted but don't hold me on this!!

it's called the Hassar or the proper name is something like cathilythes cathilythes (sp) it grows to 6inch and has 2 rows of large scales on each side like armour, hence the name.

Most reactions

Back