frankycee

Reaction score
Hi, just bought a 20 Gal tank. My plan is to have

5 Red Phantom Tetras
5 Blue rainbows (dwarf?)
5 Cardinals
2 Gouramis (dwarf, male and female)
2 bottom feeders (Corys)

Is this too much? Will they get along, and are they all in the same Ph range?

Ok the first thing is to take it slow add only one group at a time (save the corys for last). As for compatibility it's fine in my experience there is no trouble. The pH differenc is minimal they all like the soft acidic water except the rainbows which prefer slightly alkaline. I f you are not worried about breeding regular tap water with a pH of 7.0-7.4 is fine and the fish will adjust well. My one recommendation would be to get 3 corys instead of two (I just find they do better in 3s). The bio load shouldn't be two much but never add more than 5 fish per week. Good luck and remember it's better to walk on the side of caution than have major problems, which means take it slow and for the first bit keep a close eye on the fish to see if there are problems (medical or water quality).

You cant have all those dwarf gouramis, they will end up killing each other. Instead get 1 or 2 and more corys, because they are a schooling fish.

Ditto the 1 gourami and more cories suggestions :thumbs:

All those gouramis? I want 2? Is that too much? Or are the rainbow fish considered Gouramis?

frankycee said:
Hi, just bought a 20 Gal tank. My plan is to have

5 Red Phantom Tetras
5 Blue rainbows (dwarf?)
5 Cardinals
2 Gouramis (dwarf, male and female)
2 bottom feeders (Corys)

Is this too much? Will they get along, and are they all in the same Ph range?
I would either pick he phanton tetras or the cardinals IMO. I think they look better in one LARGE group rather than two small groups of different tetras. :nod: Then maybe forget about the rainbows, get the two dwarf gouramis and get like 5 cories.

Okay, even I'm confused as I have read other poeples threads where they have kept a male and female dwarf gouramis together, yet this is a no go in this tank? Plus, and I'm not picking at you in particular Raechal as I see a lot of people doing this all the time, but they asked us if the fish they picked out were okay together, not for our opinion on what fish would look better together. They've picked out the fish they are interested in, and they want to know about them, not about other fish they haven't listed and how people would think they look better. Sorry, but it has nothing to do with the original question.

So, why not 2 gouramis? Are they too territorial when in a couple?

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back